Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 22nd November 2016, 22:14   #1421  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The joys of XP eh
More the joys of compilers generating SSE2 (or higher) instructions when they are supposed to not do
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:53   #1422  |  Link
jpsdr

Could it be that the code use intrinsic...? In that case, the instructions are generated, and maybe there is not even a warning in the compiler.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:33   #1423  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Could it be that the code use intrinsic...? In that case, the instructions are generated, and maybe there is not even a warning in the compiler.
I don't think MediaInfo recently started using SSE2 intrinsics. Especially since he said that the "installed version" (probably: official binaries) of MediaInfo works okay.

Suspecting a compiler bug. Wouldn't be the first time a compiler generates "enhanced" instructions when it shouldn't...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 23rd November 2016 at 22:41.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 00:41   #1424  |  Link
K.i.N.G

Anyone know if it is possible to convert an 7.1 atmos track to AAC 7.1 with atmos?
Or do only True-HD and DTS:x support atmos data?
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 10:22   #1425  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.i.N.G View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to convert an 7.1 atmos track to AAC 7.1 with atmos?
Or do only True-HD and DTS:x support atmos data?
In short... No it's not possible to do what you require!

Currently the spatial/object based 'meta-data' information can only be processed and decoded by dedicated Dolby and DTS hardware decoder chip-sets.
Old 26th December 2016, 21:47   #1426  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Here is a new TEST build:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...0.exe/download

This should fix the MediaInfo issues some people have been experiencing on processors without SSE2 support (it appears that runtime CPU dispatching is severely broken for such processors, so I don't use it anymore).
Old 14th January 2017, 10:50   #1427  |  Link
sebus

What are the options to encode .wav to ALAC .mp4 with qaac64

Adding the option to advanced for qaac --alac gives the error as the options are exclusive

I see no logical checkbox for alac only

sebus
sebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 16:47   #1428  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebus View Post
What are the options to encode .wav to ALAC .mp4 with qaac64

Adding the option to advanced for qaac --alac gives the error as the options are exclusive

I see no logical checkbox for alac only

sebus
Sorry, there is no option for encoding to ALAC format, but you can encode from ALAC format.

What would be the reason to encode to ALAC, when you have FLAC available?

FLAC is a completely open format, it is the de-facto standard for lossless audio with very good support in soft- and hardware (while ALAC is rare outside the Apple universe), it compresses at least as good as ALAC, and it's faster than ALAC:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...mparison_Table

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th January 2017 at 16:49.
Old 15th January 2017, 12:09   #1429  |  Link
sebus

I have old gen 4 iPod (converted from 40Gb HDD to 64Gb SD) connected to Onkyo Receiver via Universal Port, iPod means no flac

And while I can play flac from USB or DLNA server, having local old iPod loaded with various alac files is yet another option

Oh well, I can do conversion with a batch file after all, but having it included in LXP would be helpful

sebus
sebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 13:13   #1430  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Welcome to the wonderful 'limited world' of Apple playback devices
Old 20th March 2017, 20:25   #1431  |  Link
quitemice

A few thoughts / questions

First of all i want to say that i use and like this excellent program very much!! it does what it is supposed to do, and it works excellent!

But i have a few issues with it, although that aren't issues with the working of this program.

1. I want to know why you choose to unpack the necessary codecs etc from the main executable every time you start the program? In my opinion this is unnecessary? especially on ssd?

2. Why are the settings not saved when upgrading the program with a new version? I know the settings are written to the new config file but the program apparently doesn't use it? every time i update this program the settings are gone and i have to re do all the settings i made.

3. would you consider to remove the sound effects? or disable them by default?

I know this program is opensource and i could make my own version but i'm not skilled enough to do that.

I'm NOT criticizing your work though

Last edited by quitemice; 25th March 2017 at 19:27. Reason: Sorry i forgot to add NOT to the last sentence!
quitemice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 15:33   #1432  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitemice View Post
1. I want to know why you choose to unpack the necessary codecs etc from the main executable every time you start the program? In my opinion this is unnecessary? especially on ssd?
Because it gives a very nice "all in one" application that just works "out of the box" and doesn't depend on anything. This way LameXP can also be used as a "portable" application. The user doesn't need to bother that some temporary files get extracted on startup (and will ne cleaned-up automatically on application shutdown), as it is completely transparent to the user. Most users probably never notice.

Especially with SSD, the extraction should be extremely fast. Takes less than a second on my system! If you ever see LameXP to take more than a few seconds to startup up, get rid of the crappy A/V software that is responsible!
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/Ma...ormance-issues

(And please don't tell me that LameXP causes your SSD to "wear out" more quickly. SSD's wearing out quickly is a common myth, maybe a problem of the very earliest SSD's, but certainly not of today's ones - as tests have shown many times)

Quote:
2. Why are the settings not saved when upgrading the program with a new version? I know the settings are written to the new config file but the program apparently doesn't use it? every time i update this program the settings are gone and i have to re do all the settings i made.
Settings are not "not saved", but stored separately for each major release. That's because new major releases can add new settings, removed old settings, or change the meaning of existing settings.

IMO it's better to keep things separate. If you changed any of the defaults in LameXP, then you can do so again in 10 seconds. Any maybe, in the meantime, you realized that you should stick with the defaults anyway...

You can even edit the INI file and rename the INI section from "old" to "new" version, so that the "new" version will try to read your "old" settings. That's on your own risk, of course

Quote:
3. would you consider to remove the sound effects? or disable them by default?
There are no plans to disable the sounds by default. You can disable them at any time though, if you don't like them.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th March 2017 at 15:44.
Old 25th March 2017, 15:42   #1433  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Beta-1
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...8.exe/download

Quote:
Changes between v4.14 and v4.15 [*unreleased*]:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Fixed included MediaInfo binary not working on processor without SSE2 support
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-alpha2 (2017-03-03) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-02-22)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.93 (2017-02-28), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
Old 25th March 2017, 19:41   #1434  |  Link
quitemice

re issues\questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Because it gives a very nice "all in one" application that just works "out of the box" and doesn't depend on anything. This way LameXP can also be used as a "portable" application. The user doesn't need to bother that some temporary files get extracted on startup (and will ne cleaned-up automatically on application shutdown), as it is completely transparent to the user. Most users probably never notice.

Especially with SSD, the extraction should be extremely fast. Takes less than a second on my system! If you ever see LameXP to take more than a few seconds to startup up, get rid of the crappy A/V software that is responsible!
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/Ma...ormance-issues

(And please don't tell me that LameXP causes your SSD to "wear out" more quickly. SSD's wearing out quickly is a common myth, maybe a problem of the very earliest SSD's, but certainly not of today's ones - as tests have shown many times)

Settings are not "not saved", but stored separately for each major release. That's because new major releases can add new settings, removed old settings, or change the meaning of existing settings.

IMO it's better to keep things separate. If you changed any of the defaults in LameXP, then you can do so again in 10 seconds. Any maybe, in the meantime, you realized that you should stick with the defaults anyway...

You can even edit the INI file and rename the INI section from "old" to "new" version, so that the "new" version will try to read your "old" settings. That's on your own risk, of course

There are no plans to disable the sounds by default. You can disable them at any time though, if you don't like them.
@lord mulder

Oke thanks for your explanation!

I think your reasons are legit, and yes it's not a big deal to enter my settings again.
But i'm not sure why you save the settings separately but never use them. I mean what's the point than to save them?

but like i said it's not a real problem, and i happily continue to work with this program
quitemice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 21:24   #1435  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Beta-3

Quote:
* Fixed a bug in auto-rename feature, that caused problems when a meta-tag contained path separators
* Some improvements for "high DPI" screens: Adjust initial window size according to DPI setting
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2-alpha2 (2017-03-03) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-02-22)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.93 (2017-02-28), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 16th April 2017 at 19:33.
Old 16th April 2017, 19:32   #1436  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Beta-4

Quote:
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.7 from CVS in order to include latest libFAAD fixes (2016-11-11)
* Some tweaks to the auto-update function in order to speed-up the update check in most situations

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 22nd April 2017 at 19:00.
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:59   #1437  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.15 Beta-5 „Ingsoc“
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...4.exe/download

Quote:
* Improved file name generation from meta-tags containing characters that are forbidden in file names
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.94+ (2017-04-21), compiled with ICL 17.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2 (2015-02-22) with Dynamic Audio Normalizer v2.10 (2017-04-14) effect included

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 22nd April 2017 at 19:11.
Old 28th April 2017, 02:16   #1438  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Can you please optimize your fantastic program for AMD Ryzen arhitecture ? Can you do it before final version come ? Thank you.

Is there any audio codec, at the moment, being optimized for Ryzen ?

As ilustration, look at this image in my attachment, please
Attached Images

Last edited by Romario; 28th April 2017 at 02:23.
Romario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 02:47   #1439  |  Link
mariush

Lame MP3 is pretty much single threaded, it will pretty much use one cpu core to encode one audio file. If you want to use all the cores in your processor, you'd have to use an application like foobar2k or LameXP to encode multiple audio files at the same time. The standard FLAC is also kinda poor at multithreading, same goes for neroAAC AAC encoder (which i still use even though apparently there's some other software supposedly better).

You can speed up encodings by running multiple conversions in parallel (up to 16-20 of them on Ryzen would be fine I guess).

You've made several posts about optimizing things for Ryzen. Ryzen architecture doesn't really have some magic instructions that would hugely affect the performance, if some application is already optimized to use the existing instructions sets from other processors like Intel Skylake, they'll work well on Ryzen as well.

x264 for example will use as many cores and threads as it feels needed, so if you're doing some high resolution high fps encoding, it will use all those 12-16 threads very well.

* for mp3, there were some attempts at making a multithreaded lame mp3, but it still works by encoding multiple audio files in parallel internally, not just one audio file... see fcMP3Enc https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,73790.0.html

* For FLAC, if you want speed you could look into CueTools.FLACCL which can use your video card to speed up encoding of audio files using OpenCL (which works on AMD and nVidia cards)

and a bit unrelated, but you asked on the x264 thread... i'm not an expert so I'm not sure... but I don't think x264 would benefit from those AVX instructions.

Last edited by mariush; 28th April 2017 at 02:51.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 17:22   #1440  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Ok, thanks for answer. I respect your opinion.

But something must be changed, lame have not been developed, actively, for three or four years now.

But please look my image in attachment. Can you explain why is 7700k so much faster than 8-core 1800x? I can't explain that, it shows how much is LAME unoptimized...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9295 mit Tapatalk

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis