Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 23rd May 2019, 22:23   #61  |  Link
MasterNobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
This is where Cinemacraft outperforms x264- quality balance between different frame types.
This problem has noting to do with balance between different frame types. It is problem with VBV.

mp3dom
To fix (debug) this problem developers (me) need at minimum short source sample which reproduce this problem and full x264 command line.

P.S. VBV algorithm is not ideal and sometimes its prediction fails.
MasterNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 22:27   #62  |  Link
mp3dom

This is a bug or a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed, and not a result "by design".
The old Cinema Craft engine now tends to be inferior with the current sources. Animation has improved in resolutions compared to previous years, and now the old engine shows some "suffering" signs in keeping the quality on complex scenes without strong lowpass filtering and similar preprocessing, that visually lowers the definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNobody View Post
To fix (debug) this problem developers (me) need at minimum short source sample which reproduce this problem and full x264 command line.
Sent by PM.

Last edited by mp3dom; 23rd May 2019 at 22:50.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2019, 21:03   #63  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNobody View Post
This problem has noting to do with balance between different frame types. It is problem with VBV.

mp3dom

P.S. VBV algorithm is not ideal and sometimes its prediction fails.
Regardless if this is a bug in x264, Cinemacraft strong part was always good quality balance between frames (even in their MPEG2 encoder).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3dom View Post
The old Cinema Craft engine now tends to be inferior with the current sources. Animation has improved in resolutions compared to previous years, and now the old engine shows some "suffering" signs in keeping the quality on complex scenes without strong lowpass filtering and similar preprocessing, that visually lowers the definition
It's not actively developed product anymore, which is a shame, but there is no money in BD business anyway, so it's not worth to invest.

Last edited by kolak; 24th May 2019 at 21:06.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 20:01   #64  |  Link
jpsdr

I wanted to put the information on the issue i've open on gitlab/videolan, but i can't !
I don't have a smartphone neither a webcam, so on Gitlab i'm stuck on validating two step for my account, and it seems that there is no solution, and there is no link/contact support either to ask them how to do.

I don't know if the information was said, but disabling mbtree seems to reduce the effects of the issue. So it's not only VBV, but a mix also with mbtree.
Old 15th February 2021, 22:08   #65  |  Link
MasterNobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
I wanted to put the information on the issue i've open on gitlab/videolan, but i can't !
I don't have a smartphone neither a webcam, so on Gitlab i'm stuck on validating two step for my account, and it seems that there is no solution, and there is no link/contact support either to ask them how to do.

I don't know if the information was said, but disabling mbtree seems to reduce the effects of the issue. So it's not only VBV, but a mix also with mbtree.
Hi. If you have problems with login to code.videolan.org then you probably can try contact j-b at #x264dev@freenode.

And here is link to gitlab two-factor authentication (2FA) help.

Last edited by MasterNobody; 15th February 2021 at 22:16.
MasterNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:57   #66  |  Link
iAvoe

Try deadzone-inter=8 deadzone-intra=5 or --deadzone-inter 8 --deadzone-intra 5
iAvoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 12:47   #67  |  Link
mp3dom

Mhmm, I don't think this could resolve, otherwise changing to tune grain (which lowers deadzone up to 6) would've fixed it
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:09   #68  |  Link
jpsdr

@mp3dom
Hi. There has been a "VBV with Sliced Thread fix" commited. Do you have the possibility to check if :
- It fixes this issue.
- The fact to disable mbtree is still interesting with blu-ray, or if with this commit mbtree now is efficient with blu-ray encode parameters.
I'm doing a new build, you can check on my github probably tomorrow.

Last edited by jpsdr; 3rd November 2023 at 20:15.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:02   #69  |  Link
jpsdr

I've made a build r3156 on my github with the "VBV with Sliced Thread fix" commit.
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:49   #70  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Many thanks, jpsdr !
BTW, the Broadwell version links to 404 or wants to have a password sign-in.
Old 3rd November 2023, 20:14   #71  |  Link
jpsdr

Just tested, everything download fine...
Old 5th November 2023, 18:57   #72  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Works now here too, all is well.
Old 8th November 2023, 11:22   #73  |  Link
mp3dom

Confirming that nothing has changed on that side. The bitrate and quality drop is still there in the exact same way as old versions.