Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th December 2018, 09:38   #1  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

How to make bad sectors on video DVD

Hi everyone
Everything that said in this forum is about reversing bad sector protection and ripping video DVD.

I want to know how to add bad sectors to a video DVD, for example like the ProtectBURN Video program, it adds some extra BUP & IFO files into Video DVD and adds two rings of bad sector before the first VTS and after the last one.

I know it's not a good way to protect DVD but I'm doing some research on this title and so far I just learned about root sector and how to manipulate files and folders location and sizes but nothing on bad sector.

I had a friend (he is out of reach unfortunately) that made these kind of lock plus changing folders to files and changing the way IsoBuster and Windows Explorer/CMD showing the file structure on Data CD/DVDs.

If anyone can help me by giving a reference or any other way I'll be appreciated

(The reason I post this in General Discussion section is because every section in this forum is about the opposite of what I'm looking for)

Last edited by mrhartsclube; 13th December 2018 at 09:42.
mrhartsclube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 14:58   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Use a needle - if you scratch it deeply enough you'll end up with defective sectors.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:54   #3  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Use a needle - if you scratch it deeply enough you'll end up with defective sectors.
Hey Ghitulescu, Thanks for reply
I know that's possible but there is a way to make these bad sectors without a needle using hex editor on iso image.
also there is softwares that do this thing. they leave a ring on disk which is forces the CD/DVD-ROM drive lens to repeat reading it for long time like Sony ARccOS.
Old 14th December 2018, 19:32   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Have you tried just zeroing the entire block for each sector set ? (also try set 255 all bytes if fail).

I think pressed disks omit the sectors altogether (ie the sectors dont actually exist).

If above fails, precise and delicate application of a 14lb sledge hammer would render the sectors unreadable.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 14th December 2018 at 19:36.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 11:26   #5  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Have you tried just zeroing the entire block for each sector set ? (also try set 255 all bytes if fail).

I think pressed disks omit the sectors altogether (ie the sectors dont actually exist).
Hi StainlessS and Thanks For Reply. I tried adding some 0 or FF sectors (and it didn't work) but I think I didn't get what you mean by "sector set", I know each sector is 2048B=1KB and blocks can contain multiple sectors but IDK how many sectors do you mean.

Quote:
If above fails, precise and delicate application of a 14lb sledge hammer would render the sectors unreadable.
I also want to make it all happen (like it happened before by maybe some software) softwaricaly, because its faster to make an iso image with bad sectors and write it on as many disks as you want instead of hitting all disks with sledge hammer which is time consuming and also very delicate job as you said. also I'm all software

Last edited by mrhartsclube; 17th December 2018 at 11:30.
Old 17th December 2018, 12:36   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
I tried adding some 0 or FF sectors (and it didn't work) but I think I didn't get what you mean by "sector set", I know each sector is 2048B=1KB and blocks can contain multiple sectors but IDK how many sectors do you mean.
By set, I just meant whatever sectors make up the the 'ring'. 2048 Byes = 2KB sector.

Quote:
Workflow

To apply ProtectBURN to your Video DVD you first need to set up an account with Protect Software here. Once you have done this, you can download the free ProtectBURN software. Follow the steps below to protect your Video-DVD:

1. Install the ProtectBURN application on the PC which you want to use for burning the protected DVD.

2. Use the DiscProtector (which is part of the ProtectBURN package) to create a protected ISO image from your existing DVD or ISO image.

3. Burn the protected ISO file to an empty DVD-R.

4. Make sure the burned DVD-R plays back as you want. Please note that unless you have purchased burning licenses, the burned DVD will have an additional warning screen embedded.

5. If the DVD works as planned, purchase licenses for protected burning and burn as many DVDs as you want.
If you register, I'm sure the guys that specialize in such stuff here would like to examine one of the mentioned ISO files.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 17th December 2018, 12:41   #7  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

Quote:
By set, I just meant whatever sectors make up the the 'ring'. 2048 Byes = 2KB sector.

If you register, I'm sure the guys that specialize in such stuff here would like to examine one of the mentioned ISO files.
I tried this application as I mentioned in my first post, and this program is not free, also its so expensive since they sell based of number of copies you want to make.

also a free version of this program just made my video so scratchy I cant even watch it.
Old 17th December 2018, 12:57   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I believe that even the free version allows you to make ISO for appraisal, (post a small ISO, maybe some of the guys will like to take a look).

Old 17th December 2018, 13:10   #9  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

Quote:
I believe that even the free version allows you to make ISO for appraisal, (post a small ISO, maybe some of the guys will like to take a look).
It allows to make ISO, but scrambles the whole video and also adds about 300-400 MB to disk size and I don't have a good internet connection to send it over
Old 17th December 2018, 14:39   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Maybe mobile phone and free pub Wifi would do.

Old 17th December 2018, 19:09   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhartsclube View Post
I know that's possible but there is a way to make these bad sectors without a needle using hex editor on iso image.
also there is softwares that do this thing. they leave a ring on disk which is forces the CD/DVD-ROM drive lens to repeat reading it for long time like Sony ARccOS.
Nobody can do bad sectors on a DVDR.

As for the second idea, that ring is irrelevant, since it is skipped during playback or ripping or whatever access. You can change manually some pointers in the ISO to point at empty places but that means your player will suffer too.
Old 21st December 2018, 23:14   #12  |  Link
mrhartsclube
I Am The Tech Guy

Quote:
Maybe mobile phone and free pub Wifi would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Nobody can do bad sectors on a DVDR.

As for the second idea, that ring is irrelevant, since it is skipped during playback or ripping or whatever access. You can change manually some pointers in the ISO to point at empty places but that means your player will suffer too.
Thank you guys for th replies. I guess I have some closure now.