Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 16th April 2021, 19:04   #4161  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44vince44 View Post
I wish to express my full support to what you do JKyle !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
And if he says no...then what ??? call it something else.
I believe @Atak_Snajpera will not disagree.
But in the meantime, users can still use MCAS on their own by taking the following steps.

1) Go to this post, copy what's inside the Code:, and save it as MCAS.avsi using a text editor.
Make sure the text encoding is UTF-8.

2) Download CAS-1.0.1.7z from here, unzip it, and get the x64 CAS.dll file.
(CHANGELOG.md and README.md are optional.)

3) Put the files from 1) and 2) in one folder, like %settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS as follows:

4) Compose an AVS filter profile item under the [Line] category as follows:

Code:
Sharpen | MCAS =
    Loadplugin("%app:JPSDR%")
    Loadplugin("%settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS\CAS.dll")
    Import("%settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS\MCAS.avsi")
    MCAS($enter_text:Enter the Amount of Sharpness in decimal (between 0.0 and 1.0)$)
(Blank lines above and below)

Then you'll be able to start using MCAS in Line > Sharpen.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 02:45   #4162  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post

Well, so much for Atak giving you his permission.....I would have been VERY surprised if he had of said anything....it's not copyrighted , but I guess it's the "polite thing to do", so props to you, for at least trying to reach out.

I recall some time back, someone actually had the audacity to ask him for the Distributed Encoding code, as he was working on his own project. Needless to say.....(do you hear that ???..silence)

But you could have made some subtle changes (other than what you needed to do for Staxrip to use it), and simply named it something else. And you still could !!!

I also think it was a lot of trouble to go to, for a filter that in my experience, doesn't make much difference, anyway.

There must have been a slightly easier way to have done it, tho.

Anyway, the deed is done, I guess it will be made available in the next Staxrip build.

What REALLY needs to be worked on is a Distributed Encoding option...now THAT would be a massive game changer for Staxrip.

With the already almost limitless options that Staxrip offers (compared to RipBot264), if it had DE, then EVERYONE would be using it.
Old 17th April 2021, 02:53   #4163  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroSam View Post
Thanks. It worked and matched.
And I know you (ProBroSam) asked Atak a question about HDR to SDR, and his reply was basically useless...he posted a LONG line of code, and said "...manually tweak values..." ....der !!!

Let me remind you :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...10#post1938810

Frustrating, to say the least
Old 17th April 2021, 03:34   #4164  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
But you could have made some subtle changes (other than what you needed to do for Staxrip to use it), and simply named it something else. And you still could !!!
I also think it was a lot of trouble to go to, for a filter that in my experience, doesn't make much difference, anyway.
There must have been a slightly easier way to have done it, tho.
I know and I agree. But I just don't want to steal someone else's idea and put it in StaxRip officially without prior acknowledgement.
Using a publicly available script personally as a user and putting it officially in a release are totally different things.

Quote:
Anyway, the deed is done, I guess it will be made available in the next Staxrip build.
We could simply put CAS instead of the in-house script MCAS if we do not hear anything from him.
But users could still use MCAS on their own with some slightly modified AVS profile script.

Quote:
What REALLY needs to be worked on is a Distributed Encoding option...now THAT would be a massive game changer for Staxrip.
With the already almost limitless options that Staxrip offers (compared to RipBot264), if it had DE, then EVERYONE would be using it.
Distributed Encoding in RipBot264 (without distribution to different servers) = Chunk Encoding in StaxRip.

They are already available for x265 and aomenc in StaxRip (although the chunks are uniformly divided total number of frames, which is kind of primitive in that the division is not scene-aware...)

Combined with Maximum number of parallel processes in Tools > Settings > General,

you can make full use of your CPU cores by utilizing chunk encoding options in x265 and aomenc:

Scene-aware chunk encoding was proposed by @tkozybski recently, but we have a couple of BIG barriers that hinder its implementation in StaxRip, and so it's kind of on hold as of now.

Last edited by JKyle; 17th April 2021 at 03:41.
Old 17th April 2021, 07:39   #4165  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I know and I agree. But I just don't want to steal someone else's idea and put it in StaxRip officially without prior acknowledgement.
Using a publicly available script personally as a user and putting it officially in a release are totally different things.

We could simply put CAS instead of the in-house script MCAS if we do not hear anything from him.
But users could still use MCAS on their own with some slightly modified AVS profile script.

Scene-aware chunk encoding was proposed by @tkozybski recently, but we have a couple of BIG barriers that hinder its implementation in StaxRip, and so it's kind of on hold as of now.
Nice little explanation & tutorial there, thanks

Excuse my ignorance, but what's "aomenc" ?

Yeah, well I will be paying attention to see if you get some response from him...but I kinda doubt it, somehow.

I'd just rename it, and be done.

If RipBot264 didn't have Distributed Encoding, I don't think too many people would be using it, (I wouldn't) and it hasn't really got that much going for it, compared to Staxrip & Hybrid....it's difficult to change that much, although you can add new & different filters & scripts (which I have been busy doing)

I think there is only one other app that has a limited type of DE, and I think it's call Media Coder..I tried it once, but

The thing with RB, IS the DE function, you get the "help" of as many other pc's that you've got, and it speeds up the process so much..and with x265 & 4K encoding all the go, speed & power is a must.

I must admit I haven't spent too much time using Staxrip, but even with the chunk encoding option, it's still only using one machine

I do have a Ryzen 3950X, so that would help I'm sure, but then why just use the one pc....you know where I'm going with this, don't you ??

It's just the raw encoding speed & power of DE, that just makes you want to use RipBot for basic, no frills encoding.

Once you've used DE, you can never go back !!
Old 17th April 2021, 08:25   #4166  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

aomenc is an AV1 encoder by AOM.

As a matter of fact, I'm not interested in distributing the encoding processes to different machines.

You could add it as a feature request on the GitHub Issue Tracker if you so eagerly wish for such a feature, but I'm not sure if it will be adopted.

My guess is that there are too many barriers and complications if this 'distributed encoding among multiple machines' feature is to be PROPERLY implemented along with the rich features currently available in StaxRip. But I don't have enough knowledge to talk about it beyond that point.
Old 17th April 2021, 09:13   #4167  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
aomenc is an AV1 encoder by AOM.

As a matter of fact, I'm not interested in distributing the encoding processes to different machines.

You could add it as a feature request on the GitHub Issue Tracker if you so eagerly wish for such a feature, but I'm not sure if it will be adopted.

My guess is that there are too many barriers and complications if this 'distributed encoding among multiple machines' feature is to be PROPERLY implemented along with the rich features currently available in StaxRip. But I don't have enough knowledge to talk about it beyond that point.
Well, maybe Atak has more know how (or help) to have been able to successfully implement it.

I did read somewhere that he stated it was quite easy to do.

Oh well....keep up the good work
Old 18th April 2021, 19:01   #4168  |  Link
craigpro

silly question regarding StaxRIP - in the bottom line while encoding it says GPU xx% and VE yy% where GPU usageis fairly obvious, but what does VE stand for please?

Google didn't help me find the answer.

Thank you.
craigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 10:48   #4169  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Now I have only three things left to know.

1. I need the SMDegrain MDegrain3 code for StaxRip. So that I can add it manually

2. Image Output Mod 4 vs Image Output Mod 8. Which is better? Do they really affect the quality?

3. What is the right order to use the filters serially for better output? I use only this filters. Is the serial okay?
I might be able to help you with #1 :-

Can you change this in the editor and some how save it...

super_search = Dither_Luma_Rebuild(S0=1.0, c=0.0625).MSuper(rfilter=4)
bv1 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1, overlap=4)
bv2 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2, overlap=4)
bv3 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3, overlap=4)
fv1 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=1, overlap=4)
fv2 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=2, overlap=4)
fv3 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=3, overlap=4)
MDegrain3(MSuper(levels=1), bv1, fv1, bv2, fv2, bv3, fv3, thSAD=300, thSADC=150)

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 19th April 2021 at 10:53.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 16:42   #4170  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
MDegrain3(MSuper(levels=1), bv1, fv1, bv2, fv2, bv3, fv3, thSAD=300, thSADC=150)
Thanks for the info.

MDegrain3 filter profile will be added to the default AVS profiles.

Quote:
2. Image Output Mod 4 vs Image Output Mod 8. Which is better? Do they really affect the quality?
Mod 4 = divisible by 4 = multiples of 4
Mod 8 = divisible by 8 = multiples of 8

They have nothing to do with quality. Some codecs/encoders are picky about resolution like whether the height/width is divisible by a particular number, e.g. 2 (=even). For example, x264 and x265 require that source resolution should be even.

This is esp. important considering that chroma subsampling is mostly done by the unit of 4x2 pixel blocks. But when the chroma subsampling scheme is 4:2:0, (which is very popular in most video pixel formats), mod 2 (=even) is more than enough. That's why popular encoders require only mod 2.

Quote:
3. What is the right order to use the filters serially for better output?
You better learn by doing.

Last edited by JKyle; 19th April 2021 at 17:22.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:49   #4171  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigpro View Post
what does VE stand for please?
VE = Video Encode

It shows how hard the NVENC chips are working.
Old 19th April 2021, 18:34   #4172  |  Link
Andy

Quote:

But in the meantime, users can still use MCAS on their own by taking the following steps.

1) Go to this post, copy what's inside the Code:, and save it as MCAS.avsi using a text editor.
Make sure the text encoding is UTF-8.

2) Download CAS-1.0.1.7z from here, unzip it, and get the x64 CAS.dll file.
(CHANGELOG.md and README.md are optional.)

3) Put the files from 1) and 2) in one folder, like %settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS as follows:

4) Compose an AVS filter profile item under the [Line] category as follows:

Code:
Sharpen | MCAS =
    Loadplugin("%app:JPSDR%")
    Loadplugin("%settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS\CAS.dll")
    Import("%settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\CAS\MCAS.avsi")
    MCAS($enter_text:Enter the Amount of Sharpness in decimal (between 0.0 and 1.0)$)
Great!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 01:36   #4173  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

MDegrain3 filter profile will be added to the default AVS profiles.
Hey JKyle,

I actually didn't expect that script to be added to Staxrip, so that's a pleasant surprise.

And I'd say this would be MDegrain4 :-

bv4 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=4, overlap=4)
fv4 = super_search.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=4, overlap=4)
MDegrain4(MSuper(levels=1), bv1, fv1, bv2, fv2, bv3, fv3, bv4, fv4, thSAD=300, thSADC=150)

You might be able to add blksize=8 (which I think might be default, and for SD), or blksize=16 for HD.

I've been using this one (slightly differently scripted) a lot in RipBot, and had some great results.

But just in the last week or so I have been trying SMDegrain with a heavy grain filter, and to my eye's I think it's better, especially on older "dirty" footage.

I'm curious about the SMDegrain MDegrain2 filter in Staxrip, does that use both filters ???...to my untrained eye, it looks like it has MANY dependancies, but only the "script" for MDegrain....how does that work ??
Old 20th April 2021, 03:38   #4174  |  Link
craigpro

Quote:
VE = Video Encode

It shows how hard the NVENC chips are working.
Ahh thank you JKyle - yeah VE is always 99%, so guess it's going flat out (CPU is usually under 10%).
craigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 11:33   #4175  |  Link
Atlantis

For Image Output Mod definitely go with 8 and not lower. For long I said it should be mod 2 and I will go safe and go mod 4 and I learned it the hard way.

Some of the even recent hardware, especially amlogic for example can only handle mod 8 and higher. Most of my encodes are bad. Personally when I have to add black bars, I just go mod 16.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 15:21   #4176  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
I'm curious about the SMDegrain MDegrain2 filter in Staxrip, does that use both filters ???
The SMDegrain MDegrain2 filter profile in the default AVS profiles is kind of a misnomer.
It's just a call to MDegrain2 with proper options that has the same result with a simple call to SMDegrain().
You can see it here.
The profile name will be modified properly in the next release.

Quote:
...to my untrained eye, it looks like it has MANY dependancies, but only the "script" for MDegrain....how does that work ??
Because StaxRip takes care of all the dependencies.

---

About MDegrain4 etc., I think we better leave it to users' choice. A custom filter profile item can be easily made, IMHO.
Old 21st April 2021, 15:38   #4177  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
For Image Output Mod definitely go with 8 and not lower. For long I said it should be mod 2 and I will go safe and go mod 4 and I learned it the hard way.

Some of the even recent hardware, especially amlogic for example can only handle mod 8 and higher. Most of my encodes are bad. Personally when I have to add black bars, I just go mod 16.
That's definitely a hardware issue. It's not related to the video quality or codec/encoder specs per se.

Users are required to look closely into the hardware specs before they do any encodes for the corresponding hardware.
Old 22nd April 2021, 01:37   #4178  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
The SMDegrain MDegrain2 filter profile in the default AVS profiles is kind of a misnomer.
It's just a call to MDegrain2 with proper options that has the same result with a simple call to SMDegrain().
You can see it here.
The profile name will be modified properly in the next release.

Because StaxRip takes care of all the dependencies.
---
About MDegrain4 etc., I think we better leave it to users' choice. A custom filter profile item can be easily made, IMHO.
Thanks for the great explanation

So in your opinion, which filter does the better job, MDegrain(s), or SMDegrain(s) ??

As a RipBot user, "we" only have MDegrain filters (1 - 3) as default, and I was using 3 & 4 to clean up some nasty grainy stuff, and was pretty happy with the result's, albeit, it would take a long time, especially on 4K footage.

But very recently I have created / added several SMDegrain filters to RipBot, and the one I call SMDegrain_Grainy, does a much better job than MDegrain4. IMO.

This script here (I know, pretty basic), works very well..

SMDegrain(tr=6,thSAD=600,contrasharp=30,prefilter=1,str=1.2,refinemotion=true) from here, sort of.
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:36   #4179  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
So in your opinion, which filter does the better job, MDegrain(s), or SMDegrain(s) ??

...very recently I have created / added several SMDegrain filters to RipBot, and the one I call SMDegrain_Grainy, does a much better job than MDegrain4. IMO.

This script here (I know, pretty basic), works very well..

SMDegrain(tr=6,thSAD=600,contrasharp=30,prefilter=1,str=1.2,refinemotion=true) from here, sort of.
Actually, @44vince44 added the following two SMDegrain filter profiles to the default AVS profiles a while ago:

SMDegrain Hard Grain:
SMDegrain(tr=6, thSAD=600, contrasharp=true, refinemotion=true)

SMDegrain Light Grain:
SMDegrain(tr=1, thSAD=300, contrasharp=true)

Yours seems pretty similar to his SMDegrain Hard Grain setting.

About which is better b/w MDegrain and SMDegrain, I can't tell because I don't use denoise filters a lot. But at least I can tell this: use whichever fits your goal better.

# BTW, I've found that MDegrain4 through MDegrain6 are not registered as available filters for MVTools in StaxRip. Will fix this for later releases.
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:51   #4180  |  Link
lordalibaski

Gents I have just tried adding this command line in the latest version

-af dynaudnorm=p=0.94:m=80:s=22

to boost audio and it come up with this error it worked fine in version 2.1.8.

Code:
Error Audio Encoding 1 (v2.4.0)

Audio Encoding 1 returned exit code: 1 (0x1)

It's unclear what this exit code means, in case it's
a Windows system error then it possibly means:

# for hex 0x1 / decimal 1
  STATUS_WAIT_1                                                  ntstatus.h   
  ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION                                         winerror.h   
# Incorrect function.
# as an HRESULT: Severity: SUCCESS (0), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0x1
# Incorrect function.

-------------------------- Audio Encoding 1 --------------------------

ffmpeg N-101743-gcad3a5d715-x64-gcc10.2.0 Patman

C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\Stax\StaxRip-v2.4.0-x64\Apps\FrameServer\AviSynth\ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\1990 DMC World Finals T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms.ac3" -c:a ac3 -b:a 256k -af volume=2.9dB af dynaudnorm=p=0.94:m=80:s=22 -y -hide_banner "C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms_2168800970.ac3"

[ac3 @ 000001c4fb37b140] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, ac3, from 'C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert
\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\1990 DMC World Finals T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms.ac3':
  Duration: 01:05:32.69, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 255 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 256 kb/s
[NULL @ 000001c4fcae44c0] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'af'
af: Invalid argument

StaxRip.ErrorAbortException: Audio Encoding 1 returned exit code: 1 (0x1)

It's unclear what this exit code means, in case it's
a Windows system error then it possibly means:

STATUS_WAIT_1                                                  ntstatus.h   
# Incorrect function.
# as an HRESULT: Severity: SUCCESS (0), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0x1
# Incorrect function.

-------------------------- Audio Encoding 1 --------------------------

ffmpeg N-101743-gcad3a5d715-x64-gcc10.2.0 Patman

C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\Stax\StaxRip-v2.4.0-x64\Apps\FrameServer\AviSynth\ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\1990 DMC World Finals T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms.ac3" -c:a ac3 -b:a 256k -af volume=2.9dB af dynaudnorm=p=0.94:m=80:s=22 -y -hide_banner "C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms_2168800970.ac3"

[ac3 @ 000001c4fb37b140] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, ac3, from 'C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\1990 DMC World Finals_temp\1990 DMC World Finals T80 2_0ch 256Kbps DELAY -192ms.ac3':
  Duration: 01:05:32.69, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 255 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 256 kb/s
[NULL @ 000001c4fcae44c0] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'af'
af: Invalid argument

at StaxRip.Proc.Start() in D:\Code\Github\staxrip\staxrip\Source\General\Proc.vb:line 361
   at StaxRip.GUIAudioProfile.Encode() in D:\Code\Github\staxrip\staxrip\Source\General\AudioProfile.vb:line 826
   at StaxRip.GlobalClass._Closure$__._Lambda$__115-4() in D:\Code\Github\staxrip\staxrip\Source\General\GlobalClass.vb:line 310
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Invoke>b__0()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at StaxRip.GlobalClass.ProcessJob(String jobPath) in D:\Code\Github\staxrip\staxrip\Source\General\GlobalClass.vb:line 353

Hmmm put this command in and its working fine -af dynaudnorm=p=0.94:m=70:s=22.

Last edited by lordalibaski; 23rd April 2021 at 21:58.
lordalibaski is offline   Reply With Quote