Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th April 2021, 21:21   #1041  |  Link
stax76

Splits UHD/4K files to be able to use free google accounts as backup, genius.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 22:11   #1042  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Hey, why not? This is not illegal...

What I do not understand for this use case is why doesn't he just split the source using either a binary splitter or a software like 7-Zip or WinRar? Of course the single chunks will not play by themselves, but after rejoining them they will be bit-identical to the source.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 01:04   #1043  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Not only hosting would be very expensive for what I have stored for free (spread over multiple Google accounts), I am also not investing in portable drives or buying anything for the time being for my own computer. NAS are expensive, SSDs even more.

Frankly I had enough of hard drives failing (and this usually happens when you can't rely on your warranty) and corrupting your data, for whatever reason and all of sudden, not just when you drop them (and when that happens you can't recover even if you spend a lot of $$$$$$$$) and SSDs still expensive as of 2021. It's pathetic beyond belief that almost 20 years ago we had the first 1 TB HDD and right now you pay 10 times more for a SSD of the same size.

So it makes total sense to not pay a dime if you happen to own multiple accounts, because this isn't against Google's TOS, you only have to return to them due to a 2 year inactivity period. Hosting your own content isn't illegal, provided it's not shared in public.

I prefer to take my chances with a multibillion-dollar company that somehow protects all the data I upload to them. The odds of losing or corrupting my data are slim compared to investing in physical drives.

The 15 GB limit means you can't store in lossless any 1080p or 4K disc. So that means splitting and appending or compress the files in RAR in 15 GB parts and then download and extract all of them later.

The problem with that idea of using WinRAR is that prevents you from streaming or downloading, say, part 4 of 6 whenever you want, and watching only that bit from the movie. You would be forced to download the whole thing, or give up this idea and watch the smaller, lossy files.

I said splitting and appending don't work, yet it's funny to realize I am only seeing a problem with 4K content. I have been doing this FOR YEARS and only now that I am trying with these new UHD discs I am detecting all those issues.

If you try to split a smaller file with the usual tracks nothing I reported happens.

Once I started dealing with Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Vision, etc. and increased the filesize all these problems started to appear.

Is this a coincidence or splitting and appending always had problems?

If this is always to be expected then no one should split and append MKVs anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Hey, why not? This is not illegal...

What I do not understand for this use case is why doesn't he just split the source using either a binary splitter or a software like 7-Zip or WinRar? Of course the single chunks will not play by themselves, but after rejoining them they will be bit-identical to the source.
This is what I am going to do from now on.

I resisted this idea because if I store a 70 GB file in GDrive first I'll need 140 GB to extract the whole thing. Second I will be unable to stream or download only part X of X to my tablet if that's all I wanted to watch.

Using Google Drive was meant to avoid that. Otherwise you might store in RAR anywhere else, you would not have easy and quick access to this content. That was not what I had in mind, and also the reason why I don't like watching movies from discs, instead I prefer MKVs, where I can also add my own audio/subtitle tracks.

Last edited by Perenista; 20th April 2021 at 01:55.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 08:32   #1044  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perenista View Post
It's pathetic beyond belief that almost 20 years ago we had the first 1 TB HDD and right now you pay 10 times more for a SSD of the same size.
Actually it was 2007 (so 14 years ago). And they cost around $400.00!

Today, you can buy a 1TB SSD's for around $50.00. So way cheaper!
Old 20th April 2021, 16:52   #1045  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

It's been a while, when I was using MKVToolNix. There are Zidoo Z9X and NVIDIA Shield 2019 Pro, which are able to play DV from .mkv files. Lots of people say, to use MakeMKV (which has got in changelog: "MakeMKV now can extract Dolby Vision metadata from elementary stream data and rebuild missing or invalid DV descriptors" and "MakeMKV now recognizes and converts double-track Dolby Vision MKV files"), but I would like to use MKVToolNix for my UHD Backups with DV. Is it possible in the newest version of MKVToolNix?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 18:18   #1046  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
It's been a while, when I was using MKVToolNix. There are Zidoo Z9X and NVIDIA Shield 2019 Pro, which are able to play DV from .mkv files.
Out of interest...

Which software media player application(s) currently offers support for Dolby Vision in .mkv?
Old 20th April 2021, 18:26   #1047  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear SeeMoreDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest...

Which software media player application(s) currently offers support for Dolby Vision in .mkv?
In NVIDIA SHIELD 2019 Pro, Kodi 19.0 Matrix special DV version and Plex. In Zidoo Z9X their native player.

- Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
- Beta version v6.2.5 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000

Zidoo Z9X also DV from ISO and BDMV.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
Old 20th April 2021, 19:11   #1048  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
In NVIDIA SHIELD 2019 Pro, Kodi 19.0 Matrix special DV version and Plex.
- Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
Does this mean that Nvidia Shield users no longer need to create Dolby Vision (Profile 5) .mkv muxes and play them using Infuse Media Player?
Old 20th April 2021, 19:20   #1049  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear SeeMoreDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Does this mean that Nvidia Shield users no longer need to create Dolby Vision (Profile 5) .mkv muxes and play them using Infuse Media Player?
There is only a need to create backups in .mkv via the newest MakeMKV and use Kodi 19.0 DV version from my last post.

Kodi Matrix 19 final with Dolby Vision MKV and Libbluray support - Based on Kodi Matrix 19 final with Dolby Vision and libbluray support

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 20th April 2021 at 19:23.
Old 1st May 2021, 07:08   #1050  |  Link
quietvoid

Hello, I've been working on a first attempt at parsing HEVC to add Dolby Vision configuration block addition mapping, however I currently am unable to properly playback the files it's muxing.
MediaInfo, FFmpeg and MakeMKV are able to detect the mapping just fine.

I just can't seem to be able to get a working mux. Only HDR/SDR playback instead of Dolby Vision.
The extracted bitstreams are identical, however.

I'm not sure if this discussion would be better in a draft PR, but the code I did isn't organized properly right now.
The branch I'm testing: https://gitlab.com/quietvoid/mkvtool...s/hevc_st_dovi

Thanks.

Last edited by quietvoid; 1st May 2021 at 07:17.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 09:08   #1051  |  Link
odino

Hi Moritz,
I don't know if this is a bug or a setting I missed but often the GUI will attach (1) to a filename, presumably when it has noticed there is an existing filename. Now, I don't mind it per se, but usually I DO want to overwrite a file, but my bigger beef with it is that it sometimes, almost at random, only does this AFTER I have clicked on "start multiplexing", suddenly attaching the "(1)" in a millisecond. This behavior seems unpredicable. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
odino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 10:02   #1052  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
I'm not sure if this discussion would be better in a draft PR, but the code I did isn't organized properly right now.
Thanks for looking into it! Discussion about code is definitely better done on Gitlab in a MR, even if the code isn't working yet.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 10:04   #1053  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by odino View Post
Hi Moritz,
I don't know if this is a bug or a setting I missed but often the GUI will attach (1) to a filename, presumably when it has noticed there is an existing filename. Now, I don't mind it per se, but usually I DO want to overwrite a file, but my bigger beef with it is that it sometimes, almost at random, only does this AFTER I have clicked on "start multiplexing", suddenly attaching the "(1)" in a millisecond. This behavior seems unpredicable. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
It's a setting called "Ensure the file name is unique" in the preferences → "Multiplexer" → "Destination file name". What you describe is intended behavior if the option is on as the GUI cannot read your mind (as in "oh, in general I do want it to be unique but _this_ time I don't!").

Old 2nd May 2021, 06:33   #1054  |  Link
odino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
It's a setting called "Ensure the file name is unique" in the preferences → "Multiplexer" → "Destination file name". What you describe is intended behavior if the option is on as the GUI cannot read your mind (as in "oh, in general I do want it to be unique but _this_ time I don't!").
Ok great, thanks, I have switched that off for now. Greetings.
odino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:43   #1055  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

There is a bug till v55 (latest Build) and HDR10+DV (Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible) muxes. You have artefacts at the Oppo Player, the Clones and the internal LG Players.
I know that this Players uses the fallback HDR versions from the mkvs. v54 works fine.
-QfG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 19:37   #1056  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by -QfG- View Post
There is a bug till v55 (latest Build) and HDR10+DV (Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible) muxes. You have artefacts at the Oppo Player, the Clones and the internal LG Players.
I know that this Players uses the fallback HDR versions from the mkvs. v54 works fine.
I think this is the related issue: https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3093

I've also noticed both 56 and 56.1 do not trigger Dolby Vision when played back, while 55 does.
I tried the --engage dont_normalize_parameter_sets flag but it made no difference.
Old 2nd May 2021, 20:06   #1057  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Playback of Dolby Vision encoded video placed within .mkv container using an OPPO or LG or Sony player!!! When did this happen?
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:30   #1058  |  Link
quietvoid

I don't think it has, they mention HDR fallback (which is broken with last MKVToolNix version).
I know I can't play MKVs in Dolby Vision on my 2018 LG (with the internal player).

Last edited by quietvoid; 3rd May 2021 at 13:32.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 08:51   #1059  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I have created via MakeMKV .mkv with Dolby Vision from my physical disc. There are untouched video and audio tracks and chapters. MakeMKV doesn't allow to remove chapters from .mkv. Are there any possibilities to remove chapters from .mkv without touching/processing video and audio tracks? Is it done via MKVToolNix>Multiplexer>Add file, then untick Chapters and Start Multiplexing or other method (simple command line)?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
Old 7th May 2021, 14:36   #1060  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

That should work. You could also just use the GUI's chapter editor's "Remove chapters from existing Matroska file" feature (in the "Chapter editor" menu).

Tags
matroska