Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2010, 08:26   #2961  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
it might also clarify things once and for all to call the two levels options "untouched levels" and "TV>PC levels conversion"...because I output 0-255 from ffdshow and have to choose "16-235" in mVR to keep the levels untouched, plus mVR takes it the opposite way from HR. This option begs for clarity IMHO.
I will not change anything about that until I redesign the settings dialog, which is planned for a future release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
After some testings, the best configuration for me is "flush & wait (loop)" for "after render steps" and "after last step" (ie. 1st and 2nd options)
In which way does it work better than "flush & wait (sleep)"? The "loop" option consumes serious amounts of CPU. So if the "sleep" option isn't working worse, that's what I'd recommend to use instead.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 08:28   #2962  |  Link
midiboy

Hi !

0.16 crashes the player (zoomplayer). I have attached the logfile to my post. 0.13 worked fine (except for some judder which does not happen with the Haali Renderer). I have not tried 0.14-0.15

Bye,
Alex
Attached Files
File Type: zip madVR - log.zip (34.6 KB, 33 views)
midiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 08:46   #2963  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
In which way does it work better than "flush & wait (sleep)"? The "loop" option consumes serious amounts of CPU. So if the "sleep" option isn't working worse, that's what I'd recommend to use instead.
In "all spline64", which I assumed a stress test, the loop is needed to get rid of stuttering. After further testing, I only need it in "after render steps". I can leave "after last step" to don't flush and it seems fine. However, if the choice exist, I think the loop for "after last step" work a little bit better, in the sense that it looks "smoother".

I tried changing chroma to softcubic100. In this setup, I don't need flush at all.

Info:
(1) ATi 3870 with 512mb ram
(2) Windows Server 2008 R2
(3) Aero on
(4) 2560x1600 + 60Hz (madVR stat say ~59.80).
(5) Single monitor setup.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 08:58   #2964  |  Link
vucloutr

Quote:
BTW, I run XP in "big fonts" and I can't read the last option at the bottom:
dunno if anybody told you yet but there a 5 options and you can see 3 and a half with big fonts.

vucloutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 08:58   #2965  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
leeperry has a very similar setup (only exception being 8800GS instead of Fermi) and for him no flushes at all seem to work best... I was really hoping to find a "one for all" flush setup.
well, I prefer avoiding flushing altogether...I might be imagining things but flushing seems to fight/confuse/lag against Reclock's timings. It seems to make mVR behave like Overlay..."no question asked, follow the damn timings already"
Quote:
How bad is the "hiccup" when not using the "use managed upload textures" option? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to get rid of the option. I implemented it as a last resort if your freezing/crawling problem was still not fixed. If you only get a small hiccup now with v0.16, would you be ok with me removing that option again? The hiccup is not nice. But in return you get faster rendering times.
Well, the hiccup is really not nice to look at...I'd very much like to keep the option if any possible please

This current config looks so amazing, I can't really believe how smooth it is atm

I've asked Kazuya to try my settings(he runs XP SP3/nvidia/same HC3100 pj as mine etc etc) and confirm whether I'm imagining things.
Quote:
Bad idea IMHO. The XP "big fonts" option is strongly not-recommended. Using big fonts makes sense only in Vista or win7, but in XP this feature never worked reliably. I will not spend any time on making big fonts work in XP.
hehe, ok no biggy...well, please don't add any other option after this one...hopefully there's only 4 flushing options? hope I'm not already missing something.

Big fonts work fine in the apps I use...I also don't run a pagefile, I like to live dangerously
Quote:
I will not change anything about that until I redesign the settings dialog, which is planned for a future release.
ok, but I guess the goal is to make mVR easier to use for newbies...this is not helping.

PS: oops there's a fifth flush option, it doesn't show up due to my big fonts...good thing it's disabled by default.

Last edited by leeperry; 6th June 2010 at 09:07.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 09:13   #2966  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboy View Post
0.16 crashes the player (zoomplayer). I have attached the logfile to my post. 0.13 worked fine (except for some judder which does not happen with the Haali Renderer).
Which OS are you using? Which GPU? Display mode? Refresh rate? Aero on/off? When does the crash occur, right when starting the video playback, or after a couple of seconds, or when you do something special like switching between windowed/fullscreen? Does the crash occur with all videos or just with some? Which decoder/splitter are you using?
Old 6th June 2010, 09:13   #2967  |  Link
namaiki

1920x1080x60, 9600M GT (187.45), Windows 7 x64 (Aero on), MPC-HC, CoreAVC (software), VSFilter, Reclock (not with vsync correction).

My setup seems to hate 'flushing after present' a lot and also does not like 'flushing after back buffer'.

It seems I can have all flushes off or on. With all off, there is lag but this soon goes away.

With default flush settings is mostly fine (I would say I am satisfied and will be using them for now), except sometimes there is a little 'jump' when subtitles come on the screen (same with all combinations so far, so probably discount this).

(testing both 23.976 and 29.970 fps material)

leeperry, are you still using Reclock's own VSync correction?

Last edited by namaiki; 6th June 2010 at 09:46.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 09:33   #2968  |  Link
Grmpf

Great new version madshi, even if 0.13 was *THE* biggest step for me (removing of the dreaded tearing). I found that your default flush options were good for me too and the "use managed upload textures (XP only)" had to stay off...

Intel Q9550 + ATi 4770 + JVC DLA HD100 (24.976/24.000/50.000/59.940hz) - single display
Win XP SP3 + ZoomPlayer + Haali Splitter + CoreAVC(H.264)/Win DMO(VC-1) + madVR + ReClock (VSync off)

One thing i wouldn't like to see is having flush(loop) as standard anywhere without the possibility to switch is to (sleep) because of the cpu eating... Beware, small rant coming: I need all the cpu power i got (my system is slightly overclocked) to decode VC-1 stuff + deinterlacing, because there is not one single good vc-1 decoder out there, ffmpeg is crap (does not work with interlaced content), the windows dmo is crap (single threaded), etc. and if you have to deinterlace using cpu power (no hardware deinterlacing with madvr) you get 80-95% use of one core while 3 cores are next to idle at ~5%... and no i do not want skip the interlaced content, because there are some great concerts on blu-ray out there which are interlaced vc-1/h.264, so there is no way around software deinterlacing imho. Because of that i would love to see madvr using as less cpu power as possible or have atleast the option for it.

Ohh and thank you madshi for the rapidly ongoing development of madvr !

Last edited by Grmpf; 6th June 2010 at 09:36.
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 09:37   #2969  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
leeperry, are you still using Reclock's own VSync correction?
I've never used it whatsoever...but you're giving me ideas
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 09:42   #2970  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
I've never used it whatsoever...but you're giving me ideas
nonoonoo

madshi; ajp_anton: Green bar at the top of the video on non mod-16 video seems to only occur if you are using MPC-HC's internal video decoder.

Last edited by namaiki; 6th June 2010 at 09:57.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:05   #2971  |  Link
Grafisher
Developer

0.16 is hanging the player on startup. It looks like the playback is paused, and one of the CPU cores is fully occupied. I have about 50/50 chance that this happens when I open a video. I have attached a log from the debug version.

I use Zoom Player, Win7 x64, Aero on, ffdshow, default madVR settings, GTS 250.
Attached Files
File Type: zip madVR - log.zip (53.2 KB, 39 views)
Grafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 10:06   #2972  |  Link
namaiki

Grafisher: Did this occur with other MadVR builds? Does it occur if you are using MPC-HC? Also, what Forceware are you running?
Old 6th June 2010, 10:11   #2973  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafisher View Post
0.16 is hanging the player on startup. It looks like the playback is paused, and one of the CPU cores is fully occupied. I have about 50/50 chance that this happens when I open a video. I have attached a log from the debug version.

I use Zoom Player, Win7 x64, Aero on, ffdshow, default madVR settings, GTS 250.
Attaching files to this forum is a BAD idea. It takes ages for the attachments to get approved. Better upload the log file elsewhere...
Old 6th June 2010, 10:17   #2974  |  Link
namaiki

madshi!!! I just got 1920x1080x60 for a 60fps video fully smooth on my 9600M GT!!! GPU usage according to GPU-z is ~90%

settings are: all flushes off except for

After render steps: flush and wait (sleep)
after last step: flush

this exact combination only produces fully smooth video for me for 60fps video

I swear, just then when I discovered it, my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

9600M GT (187.45), Windows 7 x64 (aero on), Reclock, MPC-HC, CoreAVC 2.0

Could others please try these settings and report findings:

Last edited by namaiki; 6th June 2010 at 11:04.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:30   #2975  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
2) A Green tinted line across "Some" (not all) Videos.
Note: To get this video to playback "somewhat reliably", I have demuxed & remuxed into an mp4.
Not sure if it happened in any previous version. Perhaps you are aware of this already?
There appears to be a bug in ffmpeg-mt with the Elephants video. FWIW, the h264 bitstream reports 720x406, but the container says 720x405. CoreAVC and DixV decoders have no problem with this situation. But ffmpeg-mt doesn't start delivering frames to madVR in this situation on my XPSP3 dev PC. The strange thing is that ffmpeg-mt connects to madVR with 720x404, which is definitely wrong. madVR still accepts the connection. But then ffmpeg-mt keeps on asking whether madVR would be happy with 720x406, too. And madVR keeps on saying "yeah, sure". But ffmpeg-mt doesn't try to connect or to send frames, it just keeps asking the same question all over again. Neither CoreAVC nor DivX do that. I guess that the green lines also has to do with that somehow. My suggestion would be to try other decoders.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:30   #2976  |  Link
Grafisher
Developer

Quote:
Grafisher: Did this occur with other MadVR builds? Does it occur if you are using MPC-HC? Also, what Forceware are you running?
No, this is the first version with which it occured (no idea about 0.14 and 0.15). I don't use MPC-HC. Forceware 197.45.

Quote:
Attaching files to this forum is a BAD idea. It takes ages for the attachments to get approved. Better upload the log file elsewhere...
Thanks for the tip, here you go: http://flashlight.slad.cz/tmp/madVRlog1.zip
Grafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 10:40   #2977  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madshi!!! I just got 1920x1080x60 for a 60fps video fully smooth on my 9600M GT!!! GPU usage according to GPU-z is ~90%
Nice!

Quote:
settings are: all flushes off except for

Is it not fully smooth with the default flush settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafisher View Post
No, this is the first version with which it occured (no idea about 0.14 and 0.15). I don't use MPC-HC. Forceware 197.45.
Your GPU is *painfully* slow with reporting scanline information. I'll have this worked around in the next build. But I'm not happy about NVidia drivers being so bad in this aspect.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:50   #2978  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Is it not fully smooth with the default flush settings?
Laggy for the 60fps video, but otherwise is fine for 23.976 and 29.970 fps video.

Last edited by namaiki; 6th June 2010 at 11:07.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:51   #2979  |  Link
cyberlolo

No problems here and everything's perfectly smooth with all flushes disabled. My setup:

CPU: i7
GPU: ATI Radeon HD4850
Player: MPC-HC 1.3.1788.0. Tests made with KMP too.
Decoder: CoreAVC 2.0
Aero: on
Display resolution + refresh rate: 1920x1080@24/50/60 Hz (depending on source)
Single or multi monitor setup: I've got 2 monitors connected to the card, but only one is enabled at the same time, so single monitor.

Tested 23.976 fps (@24Hz) and 25 fps (@50Hz) content.

madshi, is this enough or do you want me to test your default settings with my setup? (I think if I don't have any problem with no flushes, I won't have them flushing, will I?)
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 11:09   #2980  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
I think if I don't have any problem with no flushes, I won't have them flushing, will I?
Not true for my setup. Please try my settings. I'm still grinning like an idiot, inside and out.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling