Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 4th December 2018, 13:46   #16381  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

you can also manually specify device type now.
/knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 13:47   #16382  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Yes, but wouldn't that force all of the clients to the CPU? Or could this embedded for each server manualy?
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 13:47   #16383  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

EncodingServer.exe /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
Old 4th December 2018, 13:55   #16384  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

How can I set up 4 serves on one machine like this? 2 on UMA Node 0, 2 serves on Node 1 ?
Old 4th December 2018, 13:59   #16385  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

go to settings -> Distributed Encoding -> Click spanner icon -> Command line help
Old 4th December 2018, 14:00   #16386  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

wonderful Thanx!
Old 4th December 2018, 15:15   #16387  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Thanx for the hint.
Old 5th December 2018, 14:38   #16388  |  Link
Ryushin

Couple of Feature Requests

Atak, cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoy the feature of moving jobs around now. Makes my life a lot easier.

A couple of ideas for features.

When selecting the item for a new job, allow a setting to change the display job cutoff time from the default of 15 minutes to another value. I'm having to use Handbrake to pull in a job to encode the specials. If I can drop the time down to 5 minutes or so so I can pull in those specials into RibBot.

Since I'm doing a lot of TV shows. It would be so nice to highlight a lot of jobs to bulk change an option. Such as the constant quality number, degraining, deinterlace, etc. It can take quite awhile to edit 50 jobs or more to change one setting.

BTW, your interface works fine with a job number over 1000.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 14:47   #16389  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
When selecting the item for a new job, allow a setting to change the display job cutoff time from the default of 15 minutes to another value.
I really do not understand this.
Old 5th December 2018, 15:26   #16390  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
allow a setting to change the display job cutoff time from the default of 15 minutes to another value. I'm having to use Handbrake to pull in a job to encode the specials. If I can drop the time down to 5 minutes or so so I can pull in those specials into RibBot.
Are you saying that videos shorter than 15 min aren't being handled by RipBot? I do jobs are are less than a minute sometimes.
Would you post some screenshots of what you're talking about? (use an image hoster like IMGUR)

Last edited by byteshare; 5th December 2018 at 21:34.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 08:14   #16391  |  Link
Wishbringer
Silent Reader

Maybe he means displaying playlist from Blu-ray while importing.
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 21:49   #16392  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbringer View Post
Maybe he means displaying playlist from Blu-ray while importing.
Yes, this is what I meant. When importing a playlist, anything under 15 minutes is not shown.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:45   #16393  |  Link
gryph

First, thank you so much for this program!
I've been using RipBot for years now.
However, for a long time now, there's been some sort of bug - havn't been able to find any reports of this, so here I go...
I use Ripbot to hardcode subtitles and set a fixed video bitrate.
However I have to edit every single subtitle file (.srt/.ass) with an extra line in the very end to assure I get the "original" last line of sub hardcoded.
Which ever program is handling the subtitles, is deleting the very last line in the process.
So adding a custom new last line have been my fix.
Not sure exactly when this started to happen - but it's been going on for a long long time (1 year+ at least I'd guess).
Prior this issue didn't occure and there was no need to add an extra line of subtitle.
I ofc. always keep Ripbot up-to-date. So question is, is there a bug somewhere in the program - or am I missing something?
(btw - I run on Windows 7 machines only)

Fingers crossed for a fix... would save me from having to edit every single subtitle file before encode.

Cheers
gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 11:05   #16394  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
you can also manually specify device type now.
/knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
Just tried it out - works very well, Thank you!
Of course, itīs slow... But on some old TV-Shows with low resolution (old MPEG2 Captures) it works quite well with the DUAL Xeon Machines - and this way I donīt have to worry to manually tweaks settings in the swarm, I simply hit "encode"
Old 7th December 2018, 11:28   #16395  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Now I know this is probably a really basic noob question,

Can someone explain why when you re-encode an x264 to x264 with just some basic settings, it doesn't take a very long time.

However, when you re-encode an x265 4K to x265 4K, it takes such a L-O-N-G time.

Why when it's already x265 4K !!!!

Downsizing from x265 4K to x265 1080p doesn't take long.

There has to be a faster way to do this, especially as it's becoming a lot more common place.
The codec used for the source is not the point - the time it takes to decode is muuuuuch smaller then to encode.
So if the source already is h265 makes no difference.
What takes time is the new encoding - the more advanced the codec (x265>X264), the more pixels (4k>1080p) and the higher the encoding settings is what takes up time..

Encoding 4K in x265 really needs a lot of horespower, no matter what the source once was...
Old 7th December 2018, 11:44   #16396  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
However, when you re-encode an x265 4K to x265 4K, it takes such a L-O-N-G time.

Why when it's already x265 4K !!!!

Downsizing from x265 4K to x265 1080p doesn't take long.
4K is 4 times the size of 1080p. So it should take 4 times longer to encode the same video, regardless if you are encoding x264 or x265. Encoding with x265 is just much more processor intensive. By a lot. Older processors which did well with x264 have a real hard time with x265.

My older Opteron server with a true 48 cores and 256GB of RAM did a great job with x264. But with x265 it has crossed the threshold of too much power consumption vs its output rate for x265. So I'm getting rid of it soon.

AMDs new Zen based chips are great with x265. I don't know if anything is using a GPU for x265 encoding yet.

Nature of the what we do. When blu-ray came out, encoding was very slow compared to DVD. Now we are in the same evolutionary step with 4K and x265.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:02   #16397  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
.. I don't know if anything is using a GPU for x265 encoding yet.
Yes. Intel, Nvidia and AMD have hardware-encoding which is getting better. For realtime game.streaming it is the way to go. For offline Video-content, it slowly catches up to Software-Encoders.. Quite a lot of software packages enable these encoders already.
I have been using Intel Kaby Lake architecture for hardware-encoding into h265/10Bit - which works fine for many usecases. A 60 Euro CPU is able to handle one 1080p Stream way faster than realtime..

As we are talking - any chance ripbot will support Intel Quicksync?
Old 7th December 2018, 21:54   #16398  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Unfortunately upgrading to hi end cpu's & gpu's is really not an option, these days
Actually, with last years Zen 8 core CPU, I'm seeing 5-7fps with 4K x265 encodes. Seeing as how you can get the CPU for around $250 US, that at least brings it within reason. Add MDegrain though, and I'll get about 1.5 to 2fps. So about a day for each 4K encode.
Old 8th December 2018, 13:13   #16399  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Hi Atak, I thought I'd bump this one up a page or 2, as I have a problem with this that you may want to know about.

Today I had a lot of PC's going to see how it would perform doing a large 4K x265 encode (as per previous post), and I noticed on one of my "server box's", that an Encoder Server stalled (using the latest version 1.12.6.0), so I opened up the Supervise Process window for the stalled port, and there was no activity, it wasn't progressing every second or so, like the others do, monitoring the process's. So it had stalled, as well.

I left it like that for several minutes to see if it would start again, but it didn't so I killed it, and turned that pc off.

Having said that, I didn't any issues with any of the other machines, except one PC just stopped working, but that's a different issue, altogether.

So there's still some weird issue, in there somewhere.
One of your PC is simply unstable. Period. This can not be a coincidence that two different applications (simple console program and more complex application with GUI) just hang in the same way simultaneously. Do not expect from me to fix programmatically your hardware issues.
Old 8th December 2018, 18:01   #16400  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

v1.23.2 Changelog
Code:
Added: KNLMeansCL [Adaptive] denoiser. (denoising strength is being reduced according to luminosity of the pixel)
Added: /avisynth-prefetch-threads and /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type to supported switches by EncodingServer.exe.
Added: /restart-if-no-progress switch also activates extra process (SuperviseProcess.exe) in order to detect any hangs directly in EncodingServer.exe. 
(logs are stored in %TEMP%\SuperviseProcessLog.txt and %TEMP%\EncodingServerLog.txt)
Added: Auto reconnect option in EncodingClient.exe   
Changed: /knlmeanscl-opencl-device to /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id and /x264-opencl-device to /x264-opencl-device-id
Fixed: EncodingServer.exe not starting on machines with more than 32 logical processors.
Comparision regarding KNLMeansCL [Adaptive] variant

Source
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf45db39b9.jpeg

MDegrain2
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf46940cf9.jpeg

MDegrain2 + KNLMeansCL(h=4)
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf46ddeee0.jpeg

MDegrain2 + KNLMeansCL(h=4) [Adaptive]
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf4789e165.jpeg

KNLMeansCL(h=4) [Adaptive]
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf47dce349.jpeg

KNLMeansCL(h=4)
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf45f49f3c.jpeg

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th December 2018 at 18:16.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360