Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th July 2020, 03:16   #29661  |  Link
Moviewatcher666

Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I've created a test release (v0.61.06) of BD Rebuilder for anyone who would like to experiment and report any issues they see with the new support for NVIDIA/NVENC support.

Please note that in order to use the new capability you must run BD-RB on a system that has an NVIDIA card installed that supports NVENC. You can find out more about which cards can be used at this link. BD-RB does a check when you attempt to select the NVENC encoder (under the SETTINGS menu).

There were a considerable number of changes to this release, so this version should be considered "for testing purposes only", so I'm not updating the first post of this thread -- please try it and let me know your experiences and report any bugs you find.

BD-RB v0.61.06

Thanks.
HOLY CRAP! Are you kidding me??

Just did an whole disk 4K encode on my Empire Strike Back disk.

Previous whole disk encodes shrinking to BD50 using FFMPEG frame serving would take 2 days (that's right, 48 HOURS).

Using this version of BD-RB using NVENC frame serving....2 HOURS! And the quality is amazing on my LG 65" OLED TV.

Can there be that much of a difference!? I am truly blown away at the speed difference.

Good work, jdobbs and thank you!
Moviewatcher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 13:39   #29662  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviewatcher666 View Post
HOLY CRAP! Are you kidding me??

Just did an whole disk 4K encode on my Empire Strike Back disk.

Previous whole disk encodes shrinking to BD50 using FFMPEG frame serving would take 2 days (that's right, 48 HOURS).

Using this version of BD-RB using NVENC frame serving....2 HOURS! And the quality is amazing on my LG 65" OLED TV.

Can there be that much of a difference!? I am truly blown away at the speed difference.

Good work, jdobbs and thank you!
Good to hear.
Old 20th July 2020, 14:28   #29663  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Yeah. Definitely some work to be done on that HEVC prediction routine.
I guess the AVC prediction routine also needs work. With software compression BDRB uses the same bitrate as with hardware compression. But NVENCC compresses the video much more than x264 does. Therefore the resulting BD's are much smaller. So I think NVENCC needs to use a higher bitrate.

But maybe at the moment most of the work must be done on making UHD work properly
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 16:49   #29664  |  Link
geekzapoppin

Just tried out the latest beta version using NVENC as the encoder. As a previous post mentioned, it's like BD-Rebuilder got a nitrous injection. I didn't encounter any errors and the results are as good as I've come to expect over the years. Great work!
geekzapoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 17:39   #29665  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
It also adds the --repeat-headers fix when using UHD_V3_MODE=1
First run looks good, no issues.
So basically we get an UHD compliant (HEVC, 10bit) disc with 1080p from a standard BD ... NICE!

Can't wait to compare the results on the big screen...
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 20:27   #29666  |  Link
geekzapoppin

Spoke a little too soon, I'm afraid. I'm running into a situation where HD audio is not converting to AC3 properly. I don't encounter any errors during the process, but when I test out the final result, there is no audio. I took a look into the WORKFILES folder and noticed that, before the remuxing stage, the AC3 files are 1KB. The intermediate files look to be the correct size, it's like it just gets to the AC3 encoding stage and then either skips encoding or starts long enough to create a tiny dummy file, but then moves on to remuxing when there isn't an actual AC3 file to include. I'm using v0.61.06, but I noticed this happening on older versions as well.

What kind of info do I need to post that would be helpful to you? Just let me know. Your work over the years has been much-appreciated.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:21   #29667  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekzapoppin View Post
Spoke a little too soon, I'm afraid. I'm running into a situation where HD audio is not converting to AC3 properly. I don't encounter any errors during the process, but when I test out the final result, there is no audio. I took a look into the WORKFILES folder and noticed that, before the remuxing stage, the AC3 files are 1KB. The intermediate files look to be the correct size, it's like it just gets to the AC3 encoding stage and then either skips encoding or starts long enough to create a tiny dummy file, but then moves on to remuxing when there isn't an actual AC3 file to include. I'm using v0.61.06, but I noticed this happening on older versions as well.

What kind of info do I need to post that would be helpful to you? Just let me know. Your work over the years has been much-appreciated.
You need to install the helper apps from the first page again. That usually helps me in this situation
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 22:11   #29668  |  Link
geekzapoppin

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
You need to install the helper apps from the first page again. That usually helps me in this situation
I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Old 21st July 2020, 03:35   #29669  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
But I'd rather have my settings back to normal
Normal is in the eye of the beholder.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2020, 23:19   #29670  |  Link
jdobbs

Update: Still working on the CQM/CRF prediction for HEVC sources. I think I've fixed the error issues -- but I'm now trying to try and make it a little more accurate -- and to add an automatic second pass if it oversizes.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:35   #29671  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Wow, I've never noticed that file ...
What? Okay, reading through the thread.. I'm a _little_ surprised. The current supplier of the BD-RB files..missed that. Smiling.
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:44   #29672  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
What? Okay, reading through the thread.. I'm a _little_ surprised. The current supplier of the BD-RB files..missed that. Smiling.
Well, true
I never used the Alternate Output feature much, there are other solutions, which are actually a wee bit handier ... but I do now, because of NVENC

And I have a question: Is it possible to burn in subtitles in Alternate Output?
Because with Plex the whole movie gets reencoded, when you turn on subtitles ... and the Atom Processor of the NAS then has some trouble on 4K sources

I tried "Turn Subtitle ON" but it's not burnt in...
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:58   #29673  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Well, true
I never used the Alternate Output feature much, there are other solutions, which are actually a wee bit handier ... but I do now, because of NVENC

And I have a question: Is it possible to burn in subtitles in Alternate Output?
Because with Plex the whole movie gets reencoded, when you turn on subtitles ... and the Atom Processor of the NAS then has some trouble on 4K sources

I tried "Turn Subtitle ON" but it's not burnt in...
Instead of burning you could try with .srt subtitles which you can download free from opensubtitles.org, for example. Text subtitles are widely supported.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:37   #29674  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Instead of burning you could try with .srt subtitles which you can download free from opensubtitles.org, for example. Text subtitles are widely supported.
That might work, but I'd have to maintain the extra subtitle files
plus...
The Subtitles I'm after (foreign language) are not always available

BUT ... I think I found the answer
In the Setup options I found "Use SupTitle for Alternate Forced Subs"
That transforms the selectable Subtitle into something that Plex doesn't need to transcode (Text?) ... and its still selectable, thats even better than burnt in...
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:03   #29675  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
thats even better than burnt in...
SupTitle is an AviSynth plugin and burn-in is exactely what it's supposed to do

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:48   #29676  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
SupTitle is an AviSynth plugin and burn-in is exactely what it's supposed to do

ggtop
Burn-in, as I understand it, is a subtitle encoded in the video stream

But the resulting MKV has no burned-in subtitles ... I can switch between different languages

Never mind ... subtitles are fine for me

Last edited by cartman0208; 22nd July 2020 at 17:02.
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:35   #29677  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
Burn-in, as I understand it, is a subtitle encoded in the video stream
YES

Quote:
But the resulting MKV has no burned-in subtitles ... I can switch between different languages

Never mind ... subtitles are fine for me
If subs are fine I suggest to uncheck "Use Suptitle..." again as it will burn-in subs into the encoded videostream. Look into the AVS file(s) holding the AviSynth script. By default BD-RB searches for forced subs having language codes defined in your .INI in that order. Example:
Code:
FORCED_SUB_LANG=deu;ger;
As I don't use MKV I'm not 100% it works the same way like it does for MP4, but I'm pretty sure it does. BD-RB muxes subs into MKV container. That's why they are present for you using PLEX are other video players. In any case "Use Suptitle..." is not what you want.
There are a lot of sources without forced subs. In case you can enable sub streams by right-clicking them in the streams' pane. Very likely your current source is such an example.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:39   #29678  |  Link
cartman0208

Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot.
And as long as Plex can play subtitles without reencoding, any method is fine for me

@jdobbs: you might want to reconsider copying the color information ... there are a few UHD-BDs where (some) extras are in BT.709 ...
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:22   #29679  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot.
And as long as Plex can play subtitles without reencoding, any method is fine for me

@jdobbs: you might want to reconsider copying the color information ... there are a few UHD-BDs where (some) extras are in BT.709 ...
It should be keeping the current configuration -- including BT.709. Are you saying it isn't?
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:24   #29680  |  Link
jdobbs

Okay, everyone, let's try this release and see if it gets rid of the errors. It should also do better prediction (although it can never be perfect). It will also do a self-correcting second CQM pass if the output is too large (you may see that a lot on very small files).

BD-RB v0.61.08

Please let me know what you find and provide any suggestions you think might make it better.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd July 2020 at 17:34.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote