Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th February 2016, 20:58   #1  |  Link
Sivar

Media Player Classic unable to play DTS

Media Player Classic is silent when playing media with DTS or DTS-MA.
I've searched online, but every recent article instructs me to click "Audio Decoder" in Options --> Internal Filters.
I can't! The button is disabled!
I've tried changing my audio renderer in Playback --> Output, but doing so does not enabled the button in question no matter the setting.

How do I enabled DTS playback?

Edit: My image post was ignored by the forum for some reason, so here's a direct link: http://imgur.com/KoAIFrc

Last edited by Sivar; 14th February 2016 at 21:00. Reason: Forum ignored my IMG tag
Sivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 00:45   #2  |  Link
edigee

For an unknown reason your internal LAV audio decoder in not OK. It should been the same as LAV video & splitter. Yours is greyed out. THERE you can enable DTS decoding ,AFAIK is enabled by default. I've never experienced that issue. All the time i install MPC-HC DTS playback has no proplem.
edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 16:14   #3  |  Link
clsid

He is using external LAV Filters. There should be a configuration shortcut for LAV Audio in your Windows Start menu.

A possible cause of your problem is that you enabled audio bitstreaming. LAV Audio decoder will fail in case the audio renderer does not support it for the format(s) for which you enabled it.
Old 15th February 2016, 19:02   #4  |  Link
Sivar

Thank both of you for your help. LAV settings were indeed the culprit. My audio decoder button is still disabled, but DTS now plays.

Future readers with the same problem: DTS audio plays correctly when you ironically uncheck the two DTS bitstreaming checkboxes in LAV Audio setup.
http://imgur.com/5OZfwsM

My copy of LAV is part of K-Lite Codec Pack.
If your setup is different, note that you can start the pictured configuration dialog with the following command in PowerShell or the command prompt:
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\PATH\TO\lavaudio.ax",OpenConfiguration
Old 15th February 2016, 19:05   #5  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Future readers with the same problem: DTS audio plays correctly when you ironically uncheck the two DTS bitstreaming checkboxes in LAV Audio setup.
Thats not very ironic, if your hardware doesn't support DTS bitstreaming, then it will just fail. They are disabled by default, so you must have checked them yourself.
Unless K-Lite ships with such broken default settings.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th February 2016 at 19:07.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 20:42   #6  |  Link
Sivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats not very ironic, if your hardware doesn't support DTS bitstreaming, then it will just fail. They are disabled by default, so you must have checked them yourself.
Unless K-Lite ships with such broken default settings.
I may have done so back when I had an Emotiva UMC-1 connected to my PC.
You are right that disabling bitstreaming is not technically ironic. Non-technically, the user is unchecking boxes which mention the features in question, so if they don't stop to think of the meaning of the term "bitstreaming", at first glance I think it seems unexpected.

Tags
bitstreaming, dts, dts-ma, media player classic, mpc