Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th March 2018, 19:08   #49561  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Gill View Post
Oh boy - I think if I added it all up, I've spent years of my time working on the performance of elements that make up collink, from profile inversion to gamut mapping. There's no doubt that there are faster ways of doing less complex gamut mapping or lower accuracy profile inversion, and of course there are almost certainly speedups possible to my current code, but its not slow for want of caring nor effort.
Apologies if I sounded like I was denigrating ArgyllCMS; that was certainly not my intent, to the contrary. When I wrote this post I was not aware that there were two ways of doing gamut conversion through ICC profiles - the fast way (using precomputed data in the profile) and the slow way (manually inverting the data from the source the truth in the profile). I was under the impression that collink was doing the same thing as Photoshop and other ICC-aware software, and that the only difference is that it's slower, but I was wrong about that.

What would you say is the main drawback of using the precomputed data for color space conversion in terms of color accuracy? Is it something a reasonable person should be worried about? Does it make sense to skip the expensive full computation even for critical applications like madVR?
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 15:15   #49562  |  Link
mclingo

There have been no updates from MADSHI for a while, sabbatical or busy do we think?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 15:16   #49563  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
There have been no updates from MADSHI for a while, sabbatical or busy do we think?
Busy (we don't think, we know, he's stated so).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 16:01   #49564  |  Link
mclingo

cool, hadnt seen that, thought one of you would know, i'd logged a couple of bugs and there had been not action taken, no rush though, its all good, thanks for the info Manni
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 22:39   #49565  |  Link
Tomadam25

Hi.

Can someone help me with Maximum MadVR setting on AMD RX560 4GB? I run Lanczos3 on every options. Its OK but i want to find out the maximum quality/performance.
Tomadam25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 00:13   #49566  |  Link
ryrynz

Best to read a guide and set things to your own preference.
NGU is a popular upscaler/supersampler, SSIM for downscaling (2D generally over 1D) and NGU AA for chroma.
Personally I'd grab Asmodian's profile and tweak to suit your available performance. Everyone's settings are different.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 01:13   #49567  |  Link
arabesc

I'm using Kodi DSPlayer + madVR to play 4K HDR content on a FullHD SDR screen. It works perfectly until subtitles appear on the screen. After that playback becomes somewhat jerky, it seems there are lots of dropped frames even without subtitles on the screen. I've checked the frame stats with and without subtitles - I see no obvious difference in numbers at all, but there's huge difference in playback smoothness. And there are actually no dropped frames in the stats, the playback just looks as if there are lots of them.
Is it the known issue? Does it have a solution?

My system specs: i7700K CPU/iGPU, Win10 Pro x64, Kodi DSPlayer v17.6, madVR v0.92.12, LAV Filters 0.71.
arabesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 05:15   #49568  |  Link
ryrynz

Give XYSubfilter a shot?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 12:40   #49569  |  Link
j82k

Is smooth motion working correctly in native HDR mode @ 59/60Hz?
I noticed that on pretty much every HDR movie when the credits are rolling it looks like they are flashing/blinking rapidly as if the blended frames had a lower or higher brightness than the real frames.
This only happens in native HDR mode. HDR to SDR conversion doesn't show this effect.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 16:07   #49570  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Give XYSubfilter a shot?
DSPlayer uses XySubFilter. This is probably a DSPlayer bug. Give MPC a try.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 16:25   #49571  |  Link
djc5166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
DSPlayer uses XySubFilter. This is probably a DSPlayer bug. Give MPC a try.
I think there are a bunch of issues with XySubFilter and DSPlayer. I have a few movies where subtitles causes madvr to crash in DSplayer, but everything plays fine with Xysubfilter in MPC with madvr.
djc5166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 17:28   #49572  |  Link
brazen1

Fwiw, I've been using the official KODI with no Xysubfilter. Subs have never been a problem from the BD menu and are mapped to my remote keyed 'subtitle menu'. Many customizations in MPC for subs as well. Matter of fact, I've been playing with external.srt's + BDMV file structure to automate them. No English sub for foreign spoken parts (only) are not uncommon. Getting an external sub to load with an iso takes a lot of navigating and requires mouse. I've got it to load with a couple remote clicks now.

I've always been using MPC-BE for all the settings it offers that MPC-HC doesn't. They are very handy and I will miss them. Lately, MPC-BE has been crashing and/or madVR as well, sometimes at video start, sometimes at end. madVR has not been sending crash reports for some reason either. Other oddities like MPC-BE does not auto exit anymore and instead restarts the title. All this despite not changing a thing I know of? Tried many combos or rolling back player versions from the nightlies I've always used as well as LAVFilters. I think I even rolled back madVR a version or two? Last night I got sick of it and replaced MPC-BE with MPC-HC and used the same upgraded external LAVFilters instead of the built in version and now all is well again. Perfect actually. Then proceeded to play with sub settings in MPC-HC trying to mimic what MPC-BE used to do. In the end I just put the .srt inside the bdmv folder and ripped it to iso again so MPC can be at the default directory when 'load sub' is opened.

Would Xysubfilter simplify any of this (ripping bdmv with .srt placed in directory) and simplify (loading .srt instead of automating as default), or do you all use partial mkv's and not full iso disc backups?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 18:10   #49573  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Interesting question, all my HDR content is 23.976 so I have not been using smooth motion with it.

Does this still happen with "use linear light for smooth motion" off? It is a trade quality for performance option. I am traveling now but will test it myself when I get home.
Old 16th March 2018, 19:26   #49574  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
I noticed that on pretty much every HDR movie when the credits are rolling it looks like they are flashing/blinking rapidly as if the blended frames had a lower or higher brightness than the real frames.
This only happens in native HDR mode. HDR to SDR conversion doesn't show this effect.
it's most likely your TV going crazy with the dumb ABL.
the blended frames are not that bright as the original so the TV is compensating for that creating a very visible difference.

make totally sense SDR is pretty stable unlike HDR which is currently a total mass with no TV even getting close to the spec and every one does what he wants.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 19:28   #49575  |  Link
j82k

I already had all the trade quality for performance options turned off but enabling "use linear light for smooth motion" amplifies the blinking/flashing even more.

I do only notice this during the scrolling credits though, not within the movie but I guess it also persists during the movie but is way less obvious. Switching between "passthrough HDR" and "Convert HDR to SDR" it becomes really apparent that there is something wrong with smooth motion combined with passthrough HDR.

edit: It's not ABL, it still flickers if I turn the contrast on my TV (LG 55C6) to 0 which eliminates ABL.

Last edited by j82k; 16th March 2018 at 19:34.
Old 16th March 2018, 19:40   #49576  |  Link
huhn

it'S not possible to disable ABL on OLED.

and changing the contrast doesn't change that the input brightness is way way higher than that what the TV is able to do so it need to be compensated.

and just to make this clear OLED are the worst at this for multiply reasons.
Old 16th March 2018, 20:04   #49577  |  Link
j82k

On the 2016 Oleds lowering contrast (in the TVs settings) does reduce the effect ABL has. Reducing contrast below ~46 for SDR or ~20 for HDR causes ABL to not have any visible effect anymore. It's easily verifiable as a small white window will have the same brightness as a fullscreen white window if you lower the contrast to the mentioned values.

So it can't be ABL that's causing this. But that doesn't mean I would rule out some other weird thing the TV is doing for whatever reason. If someone with an LCD HDR TV could test this we would know if it's a TV or a madVR problem.

Last edited by j82k; 16th March 2018 at 20:08.
Old 16th March 2018, 20:32   #49578  |  Link
huhn

a Tv with what ever setting can now magical display 1000+ nits or what are you trying to say me?

HDR has a brightness way over what any screen can do even at max brightness so it has to compensate for it.

so what does a TV do ? it scans the image to see how much of the maximal brightness is used in the image and compensate for it.

and like i said before an blended black image with white text doesn't have the same max brightness is "different" so the TV will compensate more for it.

so what does an OLED screen do if the image isn't at it max brightness it make less bright images brighter and bright image dimmer. which is just ABL or if you prefer dynamic contrast.

why doesn't this happen with SDR? because it doesn'T try to display 1000+ nit and it doesn't have to heavily compensate in this case.
Old 16th March 2018, 20:45   #49579  |  Link
j82k

I think you're confusing ABL with tonemapping. None of which should affect the credits at the end of a movie. I highly doubt credits would be mastered at 500+ nits.
Old 16th March 2018, 20:52   #49580  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a Tv with what ever setting can now magical display 1000+ nits or what are you trying to say me?
No, they are saying that the TV is the same brightness no matter the area being displayed. ABL limits the total power output, not the way HDR content is mapped to the TV's range. ABL is not kicking in for the blended frames but not for the unblended ones.

I also notice that at low OLED brightness settings it doesn't matter what patch size I use, I measure the same brightness and gamma curve. This is true even in 10000 nits HDR mode and is independent of the peak white being displayed during a particular frame. I can drag in a window displaying peak white and a 20% brightness patch measures exactly the same as when it is the only thing being displayed.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling