Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 23rd June 2009, 06:41   #3461  |  Link
Category 5

Tried to do Step Brothers US Version full disc at get Failed Retry at 99.9% point. Latest version. Don't think it's VC-1

- [01:38:36] Reencoding: VID_00384 (55 of 63)
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
[01:38:40] - Failed video encode, aborted

Any ideas?
Category 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:52   #3462  |  Link
drmih

Try playing the problem file in media player classic - if it's pixelated it's either vc-1 or not ripped properly.

If you just want to complete the encode you can just increment the ini file to move on and copy it manually - as you're at 99% it won't cause the disc to be oversized.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:40   #3463  |  Link
bassnut

Nice work JDobbs ........ Just sent a donation sorry it took so long but paypal can be slow sometimes.

Cheers Paul
bassnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:30   #3464  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Tried to do Step Brothers US Version full disc at get Failed Retry at 99.9% point. Latest version. Don't think it's VC-1

- [01:38:36] Reencoding: VID_00384 (55 of 63)
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
[01:38:40] - Failed video encode, aborted

Any ideas?
Look at the LASTCMD.TXT file and see if the bitrate is set to some very low value (it may be related to post #3459). If so, change it and then cut/paste it into a CMD window to run. If it completes, then just increment the COMPLETED=x parameter in BDREBUILDER.INF and resume the encode.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:02   #3465  |  Link
spida_singh

any idea why the building failed? See my previous post

Code:
 - [03:49:12] Reencoding: VID_00612 (52 of 52)
 - Error in attempt to multiplex: MUX_00612.meta
[03:49:14] - Failed to build structure, aborted
spida_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:15   #3466  |  Link
PurpleMan

I don't know if this is a new issue or has always been liked that, or even if it's supposed to be like that, but here goes:

Used latest version to do The Truman Show. I added the KEEP_INTERLACING setting to the settings file, and it did, in fact, kept it interlaced.

Thing is, when playing the original disc, the player deinterlaces it on-the-fly. But when playing the BD-RB copy, it seems to think that the file is progressive, so the combing effect is all over the place.

Any idea?
PurpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:45   #3467  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMan View Post
I don't know if this is a new issue or has always been liked that, or even if it's supposed to be like that, but here goes:

Used latest version to do The Truman Show. I added the KEEP_INTERLACING setting to the settings file, and it did, in fact, kept it interlaced.

Thing is, when playing the original disc, the player deinterlaces it on-the-fly. But when playing the BD-RB copy, it seems to think that the file is progressive, so the combing effect is all over the place.

Any idea?
What are you using to play the backed up disc? (107 posts and registered 2003....christ!...detail!)

If you're playing it in media player classic as an m2ts etc then it will have the zig zags still there. If you're playing it on a hardware standalone player then something is wrong somewhere. I have done a good 10-12 discs like this and the on the fly de interlacing seems to work as it should on the backup this is on a Sony S550.

Last edited by Furiousflea; 23rd June 2009 at 18:48.
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:36   #3468  |  Link
PurpleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
What are you using to play the backed up disc? (107 posts and registered 2003....christ!...detail!)

If you're playing it in media player classic as an m2ts etc then it will have the zig zags still there. If you're playing it on a hardware standalone player then something is wrong somewhere. I have done a good 10-12 discs like this and the on the fly de interlacing seems to work as it should on the backup this is on a Sony S550.
Obviously not in media player classic as I mentioned that the original disc DOES deinterlace I was playing on PowerDVD (7 and 9). Loading original disc - works great. Loading BD-RB copy - interlacing combing effects.
PurpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:10   #3469  |  Link
SuSELinux

Hi together

First of all: Great tool!!! Works fine for me with a few BD-50 to DVD9 Movie-Only Backups.
But VC-1 under Windows 7 x64 don't work fine. First i got a Encode Aborted Error.

Then I deleted the preferred Registry-Folder and set wmv9 as Decoder for VC-1 (as mentioned in this thread a few pages earlier).
My english is not the best. Maybe i don't understand something!?

My test-film is "Mirrors". With the registry-hack it encodes but it didn't play in PowerDVD 9 (internal error). In my standalone Sony BDP-S550 it plays, but the picture-quality is not so good as other Encodes to DVD-9. Is this a problem with VC-1 or do i anything wrong?

Thanks very much!
SuSELinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:26   #3470  |  Link
bobrap

Does my join date and # of posts warrant a "christ"?
bobrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:30   #3471  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrap View Post
Does my join date and # of posts warrant a "christ"?
Don't know but this post warrants a rule 11 strike. Follow up to PM please.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:04   #3472  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Obviously not in media player classic as I mentioned that the original disc DOES deinterlace I was playing on PowerDVD (7 and 9). Loading original disc - works great. Loading BD-RB copy - interlacing combing effects.
That does sound like a bug then... ....hmmm
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:10   #3473  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSELinux View Post
Hi together

First of all: Great tool!!! Works fine for me with a few BD-50 to DVD9 Movie-Only Backups.
But VC-1 under Windows 7 x64 don't work fine. First i got a Encode Aborted Error.

Then I deleted the preferred Registry-Folder and set wmv9 as Decoder for VC-1 (as mentioned in this thread a few pages earlier).
My english is not the best. Maybe i don't understand something!?

My test-film is "Mirrors". With the registry-hack it encodes but it didn't play in PowerDVD 9 (internal error). In my standalone Sony BDP-S550 it plays, but the picture-quality is not so good as other Encodes to DVD-9. Is this a problem with VC-1 or do i anything wrong?

Thanks very much!
Might want to read this...

Quote:
Windows 7 is not supported as of yet. Don't expect any help, I think this is the official line. I'd start a new thread personally as this is for bug reports in BD-Rebuilders intended environment (not having a go, but I sincerely believe this is jdobbs viewpoint at least for the moment).
<- this isn't a quote, just put it in quotes since it doesn't pertain directly to your question...

However in answer to your question on picture quality, a backup to dvd9 even in movie only mode won't guarantee a good picture for long movies 2.5-3 hours+ will look noticeably worse on 32inch+ screens (rough guess\depends on sources\lots of things\ball park estimates)
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:38   #3474  |  Link
drmih

Mirrors isn't a good disc to check as I tried and it's a branching version with theatrical and extended - it seems that there are lots of m2ts parts which it puts together in different ways. I never managed a playable full version and eventually used tsmuxer to create the extended version which I then did as movie only to bd-5 but the quality was fine.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:10   #3475  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
I've just completed "Take That: The Ultimate Tour" disc, which is comprised of ALL 1080i with 1 or 2 480i segments material in mpeg4avc format using latest BDRB 23.02...

To my surprise the backup is worthless, the intro before the menu has extreme flickering (ala wrong field order deinterlacing before encoding). Also the menu text overlay simply isn't there (just has menu video playing and navigating doesn't work either) using PowerDVD9 original disc does works perfectly fine though....Very strange.

I have done discs with first version that supported keeping the interlaced material as interlaced with no problems. jdobbs has something changed with the interlacing thing?

Thanx, Rob

Last edited by Furiousflea; 23rd June 2009 at 23:14.
Old 24th June 2009, 00:11   #3476  |  Link
bassnut

Just did Spiderman 2 and ran into a fairly big oversize. Finished files ready to burn with Imgbrn 26,063,621,745 byes ....... that would be about a Gig over. Full backup to BD25 with 2 english HD Audio and all subs
bassnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 00:30   #3477  |  Link
aquanash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Code:
June 20th, 2009 - v0.23.02
- Corrected an error in which a file may incorrectly
  be flagged as no reencode and cause oversizing.
I was finally able to test this fix and there is no longer oversizing with Frost/Nixon (US). Both video streams are re-encoded and used for muxing the final output. Thanks again for the quick response!

But while working with this same disc I've discovered a separate issue that I don't think is related to the new version of BD-RB (I also tried v0.22.02 and see the same exact issue). The problem is that the chapters are not set properly with this movie. Here is what I'm seeing for the chapters set in MUX_MOVIE_ONLY.meta:

MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --avchd --vbr --custom-chapters=00:00:00.000;02:01:57.393 --vbv-len=500

As you can see it creates chapters at the very beginning and the very and of the movie. For some reason it didn't import the full chapter list correctly.

I ran this disc through eac3to to list the titles and it's a little strange in that the first title has the main movie and the short "This movie was rated R" clip seamlessly branched. Then the second title just has the main movie. Only the first title has the chapter list while the second is missing it. It seems as if this is confusing BD-RB or maybe there is some problem handling the seamless branch title. I've never seen this problem on any other discs so it must be something strange about this one that is causing the issue.

If you need any other info just let me know!
aquanash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 00:42   #3478  |  Link
PNYBOY

Has anyone been able to do 25gb movie only back-up of Sin City, with high-res audio?
PNYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 03:48   #3479  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
I've just completed "Take That: The Ultimate Tour" disc, which is comprised of ALL 1080i with 1 or 2 480i segments material in mpeg4avc format using latest BDRB 23.02...

To my surprise the backup is worthless, the intro before the menu has extreme flickering (ala wrong field order deinterlacing before encoding). Also the menu text overlay simply isn't there (just has menu video playing and navigating doesn't work either) using PowerDVD9 original disc does works perfectly fine though....Very strange.

I have done discs with first version that supported keeping the interlaced material as interlaced with no problems. jdobbs has something changed with the interlacing thing?

Thanx, Rob
I don't think so, but I'll go back and look at it. Try it without the INTERLACED setting and see if it acts differently. Have you done that specific disc successfully with an older version? There's all kinds of potential for oddness with interlace reencoding (thus the reason I put it off so long), especially with BFF or hybrid sources.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th June 2009 at 03:52.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 03:56   #3480  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanash View Post
I was finally able to test this fix and there is no longer oversizing with Frost/Nixon (US). Both video streams are re-encoded and used for muxing the final output. Thanks again for the quick response!

But while working with this same disc I've discovered a separate issue that I don't think is related to the new version of BD-RB (I also tried v0.22.02 and see the same exact issue). The problem is that the chapters are not set properly with this movie. Here is what I'm seeing for the chapters set in MUX_MOVIE_ONLY.meta:

MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --avchd --vbr --custom-chapters=00:00:00.000;02:01:57.393 --vbv-len=500

As you can see it creates chapters at the very beginning and the very and of the movie. For some reason it didn't import the full chapter list correctly.

I ran this disc through eac3to to list the titles and it's a little strange in that the first title has the main movie and the short "This movie was rated R" clip seamlessly branched. Then the second title just has the main movie. Only the first title has the chapter list while the second is missing it. It seems as if this is confusing BD-RB or maybe there is some problem handling the seamless branch title. I've never seen this problem on any other discs so it must be something strange about this one that is causing the issue.

If you need any other info just let me know!
I've been doing a lot of testing with Frost/Nixon the last few days. It's a good test for secondary (PiP) video since it has two secondary video tracks.

@Anyone

Has anyone found a way to successfully MUX secondary audio tracks? I've been pulling my hair out... I may have to resort to muxing myself instead of using a tool. Ugghh