Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th January 2013, 15:02   #1421  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
I don't know what I changed in detail. I only know that the interface functions are not changed.
If you have two versions of DiAVC and one has the problem and one doesn't, it is a simple matter to determine the source code changes and isolate which one caused the problem. But without your source code, there's no way anyone other than you can do that. You're a really smart guy, why isn't this obvious to you? Maybe because you don't care? I certainly hope it is not because you have no source code control!

Quote:
I only add some more features into the DiAVC.
"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."
You should notice the "perhaps".
The point is you knew about the problem but weren't willing to do anything about it. You just silently broke other apps depending on continued backward compatibility.

Quote:
For example, I fix a problem in the GetMachineCode.exe for some computers that it is hard to get their harddisk serial number in recent days.
OK, great. But you have no time to figure out how you broke backward compatibility? As it stands, I can't make your SDK and current decoder version work together, whereas things were fine with a previous decoder version. This should be a nightmare for someone distributing a decoding library, but you appear totally unconcerned.

Last edited by Guest; 25th January 2013 at 15:24.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 11:56   #1422  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
If you have two versions of DiAVC and one has the problem and one doesn't, it is a simple matter to determine the source code changes and isolate which one caused the problem. But without your source code, there's no way anyone other than you can do that. You're a really smart guy, why isn't this obvious to you? Maybe because you don't care? I certainly hope it is not because you have no source code control!
I DO have no strict source code control for the DiAVC source code. Before each release, I test all hundreds bitstreams for correctness and I assume everything is OK. As I don't change the interface, I assume that DG tools work fine.
I often compress the source code to a .7z file and store it to another place, but not in every release. I have limited experiences on the project management. This is a lesson for me.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 12:00   #1423  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer
 
LoRd_MuldeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Last House on Slunk Street
Posts: 13,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
I DO have no strict source code control for the DiAVC source code. Before each release, I test all hundreds bitstreams for correctness and I assume everything is OK. As I don't change the interface, I assume that DG tools work fine.
I often compress the source code to a .7z file and store it to another place, but not in every release. I have limited experiences on the project management. This is a lesson for me.
Sounds like you should definitely do yourself (and your business partners) a favor and have a look at Git!
http://git-scm.com/book

Developing a non-trivial software without a proper version control system can get really messy, even if you work alone. But as soon as a team/collaboration is involved, it becomes pretty much impossible to handle.

Regression tests are extremely helpful too. But what if a test fails (one that used to work) and you need to figure out what change exactly broke it? Without fine-grained version control you're doomed...
__________________
Go to https://standforukraine.com/ to find legitimate Ukrainian Charities 🇺🇦✊

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th January 2013 at 13:38.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 15:34   #1424  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
I DO have no strict source code control for the DiAVC source code.
Ouch. That's pretty shocking.
Quote:
Before each release, I test all hundreds bitstreams for correctness and I assume everything is OK. As I don't change the interface, I assume that DG tools work fine.
But do you actually test the interface by running an application? It should be very simple to make sure your SDK interface is still working. Just because the interface doesn't change that doesn't mean it still functions correctly given other changes to the decoder. It also confuses me a little because you say you were aware of the problem.
Quote:
I often compress the source code to a .7z file and store it to another place, but not in every release.
Even copying every release would have served you well here. Why wouldn't you copy every release? Disk size is not a concern these days.

Last edited by Guest; 26th January 2013 at 15:49.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 17:02   #1425  |  Link
dukey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 560
I think it's a real shame because this codec is very fast, I think has a _lot_ of potential. But it feels unfinished. The directshow part probably works more by accident than design I think. Seeing the source for the directshow part that schweinsz sent me it's no surprise. It's really a crazy mess full of Messagebox debugging and other insanities.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 11:30   #1426  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Ouch. That's pretty shocking.
But do you actually test the interface by running an application? It should be very simple to make sure your SDK interface is still working. Just because the interface doesn't change that doesn't mean it still functions correctly given other changes to the decoder. It also confuses me a little because you say you were aware of the problem.
Even copying every release would have served you well here. Why wouldn't you copy every release? Disk size is not a concern these days.
I have a diavc.exe that is the build version of the DiAVC SDK.
After each building, I will run the diavc.exe to verify if the interface works fine. It is always fine.
I have many .7z backups that is only labeled by date, for example, 20100719_1.7z.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 11:55   #1427  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
I think it's a real shame because this codec is very fast, I think has a _lot_ of potential. But it feels unfinished. The directshow part probably works more by accident than design I think. Seeing the source for the directshow part that schweinsz sent me it's no surprise. It's really a crazy mess full of Messagebox debugging and other insanities.
But the directshow filter works fine. There is only one issue that I can't fix. As I code the directshow filter, I have very limited knowledge on this, so it is started from scratch.
Anyway, I am not with good code style.
As seldom peoples use the DiAVC, I stopped its development and concentrate on the next generation video coding algorithm development. I try to finish a private codec that is comparable with or better than the HEVC.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:16   #1428  |  Link
dukey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 560
Every time I paused video playback became unplayable. I would love to use this codec, but it was kind of a deal breaker. You might find that a lot more people would use diavc if it was a bit more stable, and you had a nicer website. As I pointed out, people can't even buy it unless they go directly to the link. Paypal refuses to work in frames.

You should open source the directshow part of your filter.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 15:07   #1429  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
Every time I paused video playback became unplayable. I would love to use this codec, but it was kind of a deal breaker. You might find that a lot more people would use diavc if it was a bit more stable, and you had a nicer website. As I pointed out, people can't even buy it unless they go directly to the link. Paypal refuses to work in frames.

You should open source the directshow part of your filter.
OK, you can get the source code of the DiAVC transform filter source code here.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:31   #1430  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
Every time I paused video playback became unplayable. I would love to use this codec, but it was kind of a deal breaker. You might find that a lot more people would use diavc if it was a bit more stable, and you had a nicer website. As I pointed out, people can't even buy it unless they go directly to the link. Paypal refuses to work in frames.

You should open source the directshow part of your filter.
Does paypal work in a div? I plan to change the frames to div.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 14:21   #1431  |  Link
Disabled
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 211
Probably not. Why not do it like everyone else, send them directly to paypal? I'd assume paypal also has a guide on how to implement their service into your website.
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 21:42   #1432  |  Link
ChibiBoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50
Did schweinsz go on vacation? I ordered DiAVC three days ago and I haven't gotten a password yet :-/ I anxious to test this out!
ChibiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 23:48   #1433  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer
 
LoRd_MuldeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Last House on Slunk Street
Posts: 13,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBoi View Post
Did schweinsz go on vacation? I ordered DiAVC three days ago and I haven't gotten a password yet :-/ I anxious to test this out!
Well, he said that he now concentrates "on a new video coding project".
__________________
Go to https://standforukraine.com/ to find legitimate Ukrainian Charities 🇺🇦✊
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 01:19   #1434  |  Link
ChibiBoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Well, he said that he now concentrates "on a new video coding project".
Yeah, I read that :-/ well I wanted to use DiAVC 1.2.2 with DG tools, but then I read the forums that he and neuron2 were having a disagreement with some things. But schweinsz hasn't been on doom9 since 2 weeks ago, so I'm hoping he's just gone on vacation and he'll get back to me soon LOL
ChibiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 03:08   #1435  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBoi View Post
Did schweinsz go on vacation? I ordered DiAVC three days ago and I haven't gotten a password yet :-/ I anxious to test this out!
OK, you will get it tonight.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 03:10   #1436  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Well, he said that he now concentrates "on a new video coding project".
Yes, the intra-coding related program is finished. I will open it recently. All critical algorithms are invented basically before this march. I just implement it one part by one part.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 12:39   #1437  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
Yes, the intra-coding related program is finished. I will open it recently. All critical algorithms are invented basically before this march. I just implement it one part by one part.
We already have VP9 now though, i don't see much point in your codec being created as google's codec is going to be great and will have hardware decoding built into chips.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:34   #1438  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
We already have VP9 now though, i don't see much point in your codec being created as google's codec is going to be great and will have hardware decoding built into chips.
Do you mean that a new codec is useless? I can do better than VP9, perhaps better than HEVC.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:41   #1439  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo
 
LigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany, rural Altmark
Posts: 6,562
I'm looking forward to your proof. You certainly chose a respectable challenge.
__________________

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 00:38   #1440  |  Link
war59312
war59312.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 36
schweinsz, I for one, hope you kick Google's ass! Good lucky buddy!

Though it would be wise to get a better website already. Frames suck!!

And you need to update your COMPARISON page quickly. Should test with a modern i7 CPU and against CoreAVC 3.0 and LAV Filter.
war59312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avc, diavc, fastest decoder, h.264, software

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.