Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 8th April 2007, 22:03   #1  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

DVB Subtitles (Freeview)

I want to be able to convert DVB-T subtitles (UK) to a subtitle format usable with Mpeg4 avi files (srt being the most common).
DVB-T subtitles are stored in graphic format in a similar way to DVD subtitles. I have used Subrip to convert DVD subtitles to srt format in the past and wonder whether it can be used with DVB-T subtitles to convert them into srt format.

Does anyone know what programs to use to extract the subtitles and then to convert them? Has anyone done it before?

If someone could capture a small video file containing subtitles and upload it, that would help a great deal.

I do want to purchase a DVB-T video capture card but I do need one that supports UK DVB subtitles. I am bit stuck, not having a card to get the broadcast Mpeg2 transport stream so I can look at it and knowing whether DVB-T capture cards hardware support it and whether the software can save it to disk.

Last edited by RedDwarf1; 9th April 2007 at 02:34.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 08:54   #2  |  Link
Neuman

Which program do you want to use? If you use team-mediaportal your subtitles will work regardless of capture card. It also can record multiple programs simultaniously on any card as long as they are all freeview (i.e. not scrambled) and on the same transponder.

To do subtitles you need DVDSupDecode

Guide:

1) Demux your mpeg2/transport stream (.mpeg2 or .ts file)

2) Open a dos prompt and write:

"PATH-TO-DVDSubTools\DVDSupDecode.exe" -bitmap -pal filename.sup

3) Now you have all your bmp images, - and you can use SubRip
Neuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 11:19   #3  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Thanks, that sounds very promising.

I intend to encode a program to AVI (XDiv), would team-mediaportal affect the ability to encode the program in any way.

Is it possible to encode programs as they are being received, or does the whole program need to be captured with team-mediaportal before the encode process can be started?

The subtitles although important, are not as important as the encoded programme and the speed that it can be done at. I would prefer to be able to encode in realtime if possible, would recording the program so as to be able to extract the subtitles prevent the realtime encoding?

I did win a Leadtek DTV1000 T DVB-T Freeview card last night, I decided to get a low cost card to test with as I did not have anything to record anything with so I had access to a subtitled programme. The leadtek is supposed to be okay, I just hope it is. I will get a better one if I need it (might get one with dual tuners).
Old 10th April 2007, 18:58   #4  |  Link
Neuman

Why is it important to be so fast?

Team-mediaportal allows you to steam the signal to clients. Perhaps that's what you really want?

If you want to encode as you are getting the signal one pass is the only way, - and my impression is that it's not really all that good.

team-mediaportal itself doesn't, as far as I know, do realtime encoding. But since you can stream your signal I guess you can find something that'll do that for you.

Actually the build in options for encoding doesn't deliver what I want to I haven't looked to much at it. If you want to have subtitles I think you need to do it after the recording is done.
Old 10th April 2007, 19:50   #5  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Having the subtitles done after the programme has finished is not really a problem, but encoding while the programme is showing is important. The only problem would be if MediaPortal cannot encode before the programme has finished. That would be a problem because I would have to use a different program to encode it and the program might not save the subtitle data to a file (many do not from what I have found out).

Stream the signal? How does that work? Any links to the required information?

Two pass encoding is only used to find the compressability of the video and should not affect video quality. It would mean selecting a bitrate and not really knowing what size it will come out at, but that is not really a big problem.

One pass would be fine, providing the encode options are settable beforehand in the XVid codec interface.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:13   #6  |  Link
Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
Two pass encoding is only used to find the compressability of the video and should not affect video quality. It would mean selecting a bitrate and not really knowing what size it will come out at, but that is not really a big problem.

One pass would be fine, providing the encode options are settable beforehand in the XVid codec interface.
Is that so? When I encode my DVB-recived files I always use two-pass. On almost all occasions I make a small test, see how to hit approximately 50% of the 'optimal' bitrate and then a two-pass encode.
Can I somehow tell XviD (In Guardian Knot) to do 50% of 'optimal' bitrate and then skip the test and the first pass???
If so, please tell me how

Quote:
Having the subtitles done after the programme has finished is not really a problem, but encoding while the programme is showing is important. The only problem would be if MediaPortal cannot encode before the programme has finished. That would be a problem because I would have to use a different program to encode it and the program might not save the subtitle data to a file (many do not from what I have found out).

Stream the signal? How does that work? Any links to the required information?
I don't think MediaPortal can encode before the program is done, - but as said it can stream it to other applications (like different clients or separete or same computer).

Take a look at www.team-mediaportal.com. Also try ask your questions there. There surely would be someone who knows much more than I.
Old 14th April 2007, 00:08   #7  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

As I said before, the only reason for two pass encoding is to enable XVid to get as close as possible to the desired file size by finding what bitrate to encode in after testing the compressability. The first pass just finds out what bitrate to use, nothing more that I am aware. This takes a lot of time.

If you just open the XVid encoding options and set it up to do one pass encoding and set the bitrate, make sure all the other quality options are set as desired and then start the encoding.

It will do only one pass with the specified bitrate.

You can use the calc button to set the file size and enter the sound size (if you encode the audio before) and the programme length and it will show the bitrate to use. If you are encoding something (such as a TV series), you will know the previous programme length and bitrate used in that episode and you can use that again.

It might be worth you trying to see how it comes out.

That program you recommended to extract the bitmaps of the subtitles, I have tried it but encountered some problems.
[unless it is the demuxing that is causing the problems. I have been using Project X, is there a better program to use?]

I did a small recording of a news programme to test it. The subtitles came out very strange. Not continuous lines of text, but words that appeared and then the next line of text had the first line repeated and then the next word of the sentence on the lower line. Subsequent lines again had the first line displayed and then the next word of the lower line.

So doing the conversion does not result in a workable srt file.

Have you done any of this? Did it work out?

I don't know whether this is due to poor reception or not, so I would like to know whether it works for you.

This forum will not display pictures, I have converted from bmp to jpg to make them smaller.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2w4yxz4.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/3zhgmy9.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/499vtir.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/2psq6ok.jpg

Last edited by RedDwarf1; 14th April 2007 at 00:27.
Old 16th April 2007, 13:47   #8  |  Link
Neuman

Yes, I have tried to do subtitles, - and I haven't seen the problem you describe. I assume that your pictures are the .bmp that DVDSubDecode created.

I have seen something like this in DVDSubRip, - but it's not the same. It might look similar but it's quite different.
SupRip might ask you to spell a full work when it can't see the single letters. But as said I assume this is not what you are talking about.

I don't really understand what you mean about the 1 pass XviD. But if I understand you right, - it's not a good general solution, - but quite handy if you are doing 'similar' recordings again and agian (like a TV show / TV Series). Did I understand you right?
Old 17th April 2007, 21:11   #9  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
Yes, I have tried to do subtitles, - and I haven't seen the problem you describe. I assume that your pictures are the .bmp that DVDSubDecode created.

I have seen something like this in DVDSubRip, - but it's not the same. It might look similar but it's quite different.
SupRip might ask you to spell a full work when it can't see the single letters. But as said I assume this is not what you are talking about.

I don't really understand what you mean about the 1 pass XviD. But if I understand you right, - it's not a good general solution, - but quite handy if you are doing 'similar' recordings again and agian (like a TV show / TV Series). Did I understand you right?
The pictures are bitmaps and it is very strange how it was behaving. I have done other tests and it did not happen. But I did experience strange outlined type of characters that looked "corrupt", not very clear and well defined, with jagged edges. It could all be down to my poor reception. I am trying to find a better Aerial to solve the problems as the current one will not allow me to do recordings as there is too much signal corruption, with freezing, audio problems and picture freezes. Although I don't know how much of the problem is the TV card itself, not being sensitive enough to pick up the channels and lock onto them. I have not been able to find any working software to show the signal strength and quality which is not helping. I cannot get the freeware TV programs to work.

Yes that is about right in your assumption, it would cause difficulties if you are not using similar TV sources, the files sizes could vary quite a lot if you were "guessing" the bitrate to use. I have a series of programmes that are the same length so using the same bitrate should not cause any problems and will get very similar files sizes. It will not be a couple of megabytes close to the desired size like can be got by doing a two pass encode but as long as it is within about 10MB that would not be a problem for me. You could try it on a small programme such as a cartoon as a test to find out the result.

The bitrate that a two pass encode uses would be to encode to a set file size which would be dependent on the programme length, resolution chosen and the quality options used.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:43   #10  |  Link
Jalavera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
Guide:

1) Demux your mpeg2/transport stream (.mpeg2 or .ts file)
Which program do you use Neuman?
Jalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:03   #11  |  Link
Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalavera View Post
Which program do you use Neuman?
I use ProjectX to demux my files
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:51   #12  |  Link
s4

Hi everybody.
I have a cap from hbo with built-in ttx subtitle
Text
ID : 228 (0xE4)
Menu ID : 53 (0x35)
Format : Teletext

Tried to demux it with ProjectX but it failed, i cant get the subtitle stream. Mplayer/tsmuxer failed it with too. Here is the sample with the subtitle, how can i get that teletext subtitle?
Thanks in advance
s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:15   #13  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by S View Post
Here is the sample with the subtitle, how can i get that teletext subtitle?
Thanks in advance
Are you able to "host" the sample somewhere else. Your current host is hideously slow
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:33   #14  |  Link
s4

Sure, heres some mirror(11Mb)
http://rapidshare.com/files/366760312/hbo.ts.html
hbo.ts
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ey79sa
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:50   #15  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I played it with VLC 0.8.6 and the subtitles were present.
They should be available in PjX. But you have to wait until next WE for me to be able to process it in PjX.

I don't know MPlayer, but tsmuxer won't demux TXT subtitles.

The .hu site is hideously slow, just 50kB/s , is anyone old enough to remember the 1200 bps modems?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:47   #16  |  Link
s4

Code:
+> Input File 0:  'D:\hbo.ts' (11*855*092 bytes)
-> Filetype is TS (generic PES Container)
-> demux
-> Service ID 0x35
-> PMT 0x13BC refers to these usable streams:
Video:
PID: 0xD2
Audio:
PID: 0xC8(hun)
PID: 0xCA(eng)
Teletext:
PID: 0xE4(hun_i100 )
Subpict.:
n/a

ok> PID 0xD2 has PES-ID 0xE0 (MPEG Video) (2068 #12) 
ok> PID 0xE4 has PES-ID 0xBD (private stream 1) (TTX)  (4512 #25) 
!> PID 0x0 (PAT) (7332 #40) -> ignored
!> PID 0x13BC (PMT) (7896 #43) -> ignored
ok> PID 0xC8 has PES-ID 0xC0 (MPEG Audio) (28012 #150) 
ok> PID 0xCA has PES-ID 0xC0 (MPEG Audio) (35908 #192) 
packs: 62293 100% 11855092

++> Mpg Video: PID 0x00D2 / PesID 0x1E0 / SubID 0x00 :
-> Video: fr-ct-1p-cg-og-dg -> 0-0-0-0-0-0

--> using faked PTS for following data:

++> Teletext: PID 0x00E4 / PesID 0xBD / SubID 0x10 :

-> temp. Filesize < 10 Bytes
++> stream omitted: PID 0x00C8 / PesID 0xC0 / SubID 0x00 :

-> temp. Filesize < 10 Bytes
++> stream omitted: PID 0x00CA / PesID 0xC0 / SubID 0x00 :

summary of created media files:
=> 0 bytes written...
-> we have 2 warnings/errors.
Tried to demux with PjX Portable, the streams in it, but PjX cannot be demux it
Quote:
But you have to wait until next WE for me to be able to process it in PjX
What does WE means? Are u developer of PjX?

Last edited by s4; 22nd March 2010 at 19:48. Reason: extend post
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:40   #17  |  Link
Ghitulescu

WE, sorry, is weekend. This is my internet PC. My video PC is not and never be connected to the net . I have time only during the WE. No, I'm not a developer, but thanks for the compliment

If you use the latest version of PjX (Nov.2009) you should use PID filter as the TXT is not selected by default, at least on my computer. Simply add the TXT PID (0xE4) next to the audio (0xC8, 0xCA) and video (0xD2) ones.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:29   #18  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

ProjectX works as expected....
Quote:
00:00:04,402 --> 00:00:08,914
Úngyilkosok forró drótja
Tel.: 1 -800-NE-TEDD

00:00:08,914 --> 00:00:10,450
:

00:00:10,450 --> 00:00:11,986
Lemegyünk!

00:00:11,986 --> 00:00:13,138
:

00:00:13,138 --> 00:00:16,210
:

00:00:16,210 --> 00:00:17,634
Bocs!

00:00:17,634 --> 00:00:22,738
:

00:00:22,738 --> 00:00:25,218
ó ó
A kedd nem jó. Semmiképp.

00:00:25,218 --> 00:00:27,760
- Anya! Anya!
- Sean! Sean!
You have to specify TTX page to decode (777 in your case)
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:09   #19  |  Link
s4

Thank you! Now its working!
Old 6th April 2010, 11:13   #20  |  Link
richardcunninghan

Subtitles Demux DVB problems

Subtitles Demux DVB problems

Dear Forum

I am working with ProjectX_Source_0.90.4
And I am trying to Demux subtitles from Teletext in a Maximal FTE Satellite receiver (MAX S102E).
When all Demux process has finished, I only have three files:
Audio 0 (mp2)
A Video (m2v)
And a log of the operation (TXT)

But no my desired SSA.

In the Subtitle configuration page I have put:
Teletext pages to decode 888, language Auto, and subtitle format SSA (because after that I work with VirtualDub)
Of course as Output I have select all Stream types to process, and I have select Write all video data and all other data.

But I don’t get my SSA file.

Below is the log file.
Thanks.

Code:
ProjectX 0.90.4.00 (30.03.2006)

-> working with collection 0

-> save normal log file
-> write all video data
-> write all other data
-> patch c.d.flagged infos of pictures
-> add sequence end code
-> set resolution in SDE 
-> PVA: strictly specs. for audio streams
-> VOB: determine diff. Cell timelines
-> TS: ignore scrambled packets
-> TS: enhanced search for open packets
-> TS: join file segments (of Dreambox®)
-> TS: generate PMT stream dependent
-> get only enclosed PES/TS packets
-> concatenate different recordings
-> ensure 1st PES-packet start with video
-> generate PCR/SCR from PTS

-> write output files to: 'c:\Temp\FTE MAXIMAL - MAX S102 E'

-> Input File 0:  'E:\AliDvr\[TS]2010-03-30.15.00.00-Film4-97\002.dvr' (969.074.688 bytes)
-> Filetype is TS (generic PES Container)
-> demux
-> Service ID 0x2404
-> PMT 0x10A refers to these usable streams:
Video:
PID: 0x931(#6)
Audio:
PID: 0x932(eng)(#150)
PID: 0x933(NAR)(#151)
Teletext:
PID: 0x934(eng_s888 eng_i100 )(#70)
Subpict.:
PID: 0x935(eng_0x10_p2_a2 )

!> missing sync. byte @ 0
!> found sync. byte @ 65536
!> PID 0x12 (EIT) (66664 #7) -> ignored
!> PID 0x11 (SDT) (66852 #8) -> ignored
ok> PID 0x931 has PES-ID 0xE0 (MPEG Video) (67228 #10) 
ok> PID 0x932 has PES-ID 0xC0 (MPEG Audio) (85840 #109) 
!> PID 0x0 (PAT) (93924 #152) -> ignored
!> PID 0x10A (PMT) (145624 #427) -> ignored
-> video basics: 704*576 @ 25fps @ 0.7031 (16:9) @ 15000000bps, vbvBuffer 98
-> starting export of video data @ GOP# 0
!> dropping useless B-Frames @ GOP# 0 / new Timecode 00:00:00.000
!> GOP# 2633, PES_header and extension found in ES, filled with zero... (GOP offs. 258955)
!> GOP# 2638, PES_header and extension found in ES, filled with zero... (GOP offs. 79954)
!> dropping GOP# 2638 @ orig.PTS 00:21:18.625 (115076257), errorcode: 24
!> Pics exp/cnt 15/14, inGOP PTS diff. 0ms, new Timecode 00:21:05.440
!> PTS difference of 54000 (00:00:00.600) to last exported GOP detected 
!> dropping useless B-Frames @ GOP# 2639 / new Timecode 00:21:05.440
!> GOP# 4561, PES_header and extension found in ES, filled with zero... (GOP offs. 213918)
packs: 4545972 100% 969074688

-> Video: fr/ ct/ 1p/ cg/ og/ dg -> 56030/ 2/ 0/ 4664/ 0/ 1
-> Video length: 56030 frames @ 00:37:21.200
-> GOP summary: min. 12, max. 36 fields; contains interlaced frames
-> avg. nom. bitrate 2752386bps (min/max: 1085200/6031200)
-> set first sequenceheader bitrate to 6031200bps
---> new File: c:\Temp\FTE MAXIMAL - MAX S102 E\002.m2v

--> MPEG Audio (0xC0) on PID 0x932
-> check CRC of AC-3 / MPEG-Audio L1,2
-> delete CRC in MPEG-Audio Layer1,2
-> add frames
Audio PTS: first packet 00:00:12.494, last packet 00:37:35.014
Video PTS: start 1.GOP 00:00:13.185, end last GOP 00:37:35.065
-> adjusting audio at video-timeline
-> src_audio: MPEG-1, Layer2, 48000Hz, stereo, 192kbps, CRC @ 00:00:00.000
!> 4 frame(s) (96ms) inserted @ 00:01:19.560
audio frames: wri/pre/skip/ins/add 48438/0/0/4/0 @ 00:19:22.512 done...
---> new File: 'c:\Temp\FTE MAXIMAL - MAX S102 E\002.mp2'

summary of created media files:
.Video (m2v):	56030 Frames	00:37:21.200		'c:\Temp\FTE MAXIMAL - MAX S102 E\002.m2v'
Audio 0 (mp2):	48438 Frames	00:19:22.512	0/0/4/0	'c:\Temp\FTE MAXIMAL - MAX S102 E\002.mp2'
=> 798.981.260 bytes written...
-> we have 15 warnings/errors.
Any Clue?

Thanks
richardcunninghan is offline   Reply With Quote