Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 1st June 2011, 18:18   #1  |  Link
donfrenchiano

Blu Ray Cropping

I recently got a blu ray drive and have begun ripping them and encoding them using megui. I usually crop them manually and then have megui suggest the new resolution with the mod16 box checked. On a lot of the 16:9 movies there are little black bars at the top and when cropped the final image when i resize them is usually around 1280x688 and they have little black bars at the top and bottom when i watch them on my tv. I read another post and i i understood correctly if i were to watch the original source the would automatically be cropped out and you would not see them. I did a test on one movie and after cropping the top and bottom bars off i adjusted the sides until the suggested resolution reached 1280x720. This knocked off about 26 px on each side which wasnt too bad IMO and it filled my entire screen. My question is do you guys suggest doing this one way or the other, is there a reason to do things one way other than personal preference like if one is close to the source material. I think i am used to having autogk autocrop and resize which would result in what i just did in cropping of some of the actual picture on each side to reach a 16:9 ratio that will fill the screen.
donfrenchiano is offline   Reply With Quote