Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th February 2023, 21:31   #63901  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I doubt we even see a worthwhile change to video formats in 10 years. 4K HDR is good enough to provide basically a theater quality presentation of a film.
We can barely get that going mainstream. 4K is still considered a niche format, even on streaming services. The numbers I saw yesterday are painfully low in terms of 4k adoption. So either they'll skip 4k for the next biggest thing (8k, 16k who the hell knows) or we're going to be stuck here while the infrastructure and content catch up to the fact that almost every TV sold now is 4K, even in the sub-200 USD market. And even if they do go 8K, your 30x0 series will handle that up to 8K60 so really, I agree with your assessment. I can't do the same (with windows 10) because I use it for other things but I think your assessment is spot on. I mean, is Envy going to get upgraded with every new piece of hardware that comes out in the next 10 years? I doubt they'll even adopt the 40x0 cards any time soon. For this use case, yea, get it working and leave it alone.
Old 6th February 2023, 21:45   #63902  |  Link
huhn

how do you sell hardware with parts you can't get 3080 will be gone in a year maybe even in the next couple of months.

4k is also very niche in it's use case not everyone can justify or enjoy a siting distance to benefit from it 1080 will do just fine.
of cause they will not stops trying to sell 8k devices but good luck with that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 22:32   #63903  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm sure they have some kind of supplier contract for those cards. But given the power and heat requirements for the 40x0 series cards, I can't see Envy adopting that without a major case redesign. I suspect that's not happening any time soon if ever.

Well, the consumer may not care but good luck buying a non-4K TV at this point. You actually have to work at it. The law of consumer saturation means that eventually they may care even if they don't right now. I agree with the GLWT aspect of trying to push 8K. One thing that could get me off the couch to upgrade to a higher res is if they did glasses free 3D 16k (8k per eyeball lol) but that's not coming any time soon. I'm happy with my LG G2 OLED for now. I'll replace that when we can get more of the BT.2020 spectrum and higher NIT output (yes I know, not everyone wants that...I don't care what everyone else wants, I want less tone mapping my life to make things like madvr less necessary over time). Until then, I'm happy with my C8 in the bedroom and G2 in the living room giving me a very theater like experience.
Old 6th February 2023, 23:04   #63904  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
how do you sell hardware with parts you can't get 3080 will be gone in a year maybe even in the next couple of months.
I can buy a 8800 GTX from 2006, 16 years ago...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293175285096

Why wouldn't I be able to buy a 3080 several years from now it I needed another one for some reason, or at least some 3060-3090 GPU which would be plenty for madVR 4K HDR for the foreseeable future.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 23:21   #63905  |  Link
huhn

and you put that in a device the price of a car?
my comment is about the envy.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 23:23   #63906  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
System restore is not drastic or blind, and sure.. waste your time. If it's not possible then you should enable it, this is the entire reason it exists.

Not sure if related but if I switch subs multiple times in a row I had MPC-BE freeze and was easily duplicated, I'm using Masaiki's xy.
It sure as hell is drastic, It restores a crapload of things in hopes one particular thing is fixed. And completely blind because you can't identify what was the cause of the problem. So why wouldn't it happen again?

Besides, as the issue was pointed out it's clear that system restore wouldn't have done anything but waste my time.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 23:30   #63907  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and you put that in a device the price of a car?
my comment is about the envy.
No, all I was saying is that I could see myself using Beta 113 for another 10 years.

Shouldn't be hard to have a working setup as I can keep using Windows 10 offline with an older GPU that uses older drivers that don't have any bugs with Beta 113.
Old 7th February 2023, 00:38   #63908  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
No, all I was saying is that I could see myself using Beta 113 for another 10 years.

Shouldn't be hard to have a working setup as I can keep using Windows 10 offline with an older GPU that uses older drivers that don't have any bugs with Beta 113.
Why not beta 112?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 00:47   #63909  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Why not beta 112?
Why would I use 112? 113 is the last version that doesn't expire.

I have been using it since it released like 2 years ago and it has been working really well.
Old 7th February 2023, 01:17   #63910  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
It sure as hell is drastic.
Cool story, you do know you can undo it if it doesn't fix the issue right? Update us in a few months when you find out what caused it or with details of your new build, since you're obviously interested in wasting not only your own time but also others'. Seems quite clearly a personal system issue with little evidence to it being a problem specifically with madVR, nobody else is experiencing this issue but complain away.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th February 2023 at 05:36.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 01:29   #63911  |  Link
mrbinky

Quote:

I have been using it since it released like 2 years ago and it has been working really well.
Is it still possible to get it? At least that might be better than using version 17.
mrbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 01:39   #63912  |  Link
mrbinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbinky View Post
Is it still possible to get it? At least that might be better than using version 17.
I found it.
Old 7th February 2023, 01:56   #63913  |  Link
mrbinky

Quote:
I found it.
And...madVR effectively stopped working after I installed it. Frame rate dropped to zero. No idea why or how to fix it.

So, I put back version 17, and all is well, again.

And this is why I don't mess with any madVR beta versions. Never had good luck with them.

There will never be another non-beta version again. This makes me very sad. I'm really going to miss madVR when it finally stops working with my hardware and/or software.
Old 7th February 2023, 05:38   #63914  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
And...madVR effectively stopped working after I installed it. Frame rate dropped to zero. No idea why or how to fix it.

Could be your config. Try it without your profile after backing up. If it works load your settings back in manually.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 10:16   #63915  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:

SM is broken in 113.
Old 7th February 2023, 11:37   #63916  |  Link
Celio1080p

Hey there everyone, it's me again.
The guy who could not play 4/60 well
on my 3070.
Anyway, i found the problem.
It was because in the Nvidia Control Panel
I set 60 fps as a limit in global profile.
Anyway, to fix it, all i had to do was to create
a profile for my player
MPC-BE x64
And set no fps limit.
Thank you everyone, sorry my english.
Celio1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 15:42   #63917  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
SM is broken in 113.
Never used it and I don't see why I ever would.

It causes ghosting artifacts during motion.

I've always used plain 23.975Hz
Old 7th February 2023, 19:10   #63918  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Cool story, you do know you can undo it if it doesn't fix the issue right? Update us in a few months when you find out what caused it or with details of your new build, since you're obviously interested in wasting not only your own time but also others'. Seems quite clearly a personal system issue with little evidence to it being a problem specifically with madVR, nobody else is experiencing this issue but complain away.
I'd like to point out Mr. Write-only that someone already identified the madVR issue...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 19:17   #63919  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Never used it and I don't see why I ever would.

It causes ghosting artifacts during motion.

I've always used plain 23.975Hz
You won't get these ghosting artifacts if you are on 120hz.
Old 7th February 2023, 20:12   #63920  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
You won't get these ghosting artifacts if you are on 120hz.
Why would you use smooth motion for a 120Hz display?

120Hz is exactly 5x24Hz 4x30Hz, and 2x60hz

"Smooth Motion is designed to display content where the source framerate does not match up to any of the refresh rates that your display supports. For example, that would be 25/50fps content on a 60Hz-only display, or 24p content on a 60Hz-only display."

So unless you are trying to play 25fps or 50fps content, but even then the 120Hz display should support 50Hz or 100Hz mode as well.

Only time I see a use case for smooth motion option is when using a display that does not support a refresh rate that is a multiple of the content frame rate.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling