Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 4th December 2008, 06:33   #1  |  Link
longrifle

Joining blu-ray .m2ts not working...

I'm trying to join together the American Gangster files, and tssplitter spits out a file that is not playable. Has anyone successfully ripped and joined this movie, please help.
longrifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 07:10   #2  |  Link
dat720

why don't you try eac3to and let it do the joining and demuxing at the same time?
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 10:15   #3  |  Link
longrifle

Thanks, I didn't try eac3to, because I didn't know it did what it does. It appears to have made a correct rip that plays ok..
longrifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 21:47   #4  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat720 View Post
why don't you try eac3to and let it do the joining and demuxing at the same time?
I downloaded eac3to but can't figure out how to use it? I am not familiar with comand line usesage.

When I tried it I get all sorts of weird errors.

One error is can't find file..

I have eac3to in a folder on my desktop. The Files I wish to work on. Are on Drive K about 4 folders down. example K:\A 1\B 2\C 3\D 4. They also don't use the normal 8.3 naming. They include spaces in the directory structure that Vista supports.

Then the commands I dont' fully understand.

Here is what I want to do:

I have several TS files. The Video track could be MPG2, h.264, or VC-1 (The TS files were demuxed from a Blu-ray M2TS file)

Some of the TS files Audio track has AC3, others have a DTS audio track.

I wish to CREATE a TS file with a MPG2 or H.264 video track (No alteration to the video itself as far as format, fps, bitrate etc..) with an AC3 audio track.

Thanks

WTC
WildTexasChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 22:50   #5  |  Link
dat720

This thread has the usage for eac3to also look at this thread.

When working with non 8.3 file/folder names in windows you must enclose them in " wether its 2000 XP or Vista.

Example:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
should actually look like
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office"

"L:\Path To Long Folder Name\video.m2ts"

Feed eac3to the original decrypted m2ts not a demuxed ts, your only gunna make things harder for yourself working like that.
Even better let eac3to demux the files straight off the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTexasChef View Post
I downloaded eac3to but can't figure out how to use it? I am not familiar with comand line usesage.
Without trying to sound rude, this is why the authors include readme's and have, the commands and info i have provided was gained through reading and trial and error.

The author also has a excelent wiki (url is included in his eac3to doom9 thread) which has tons of example commands and great descriptions of what they all do. Here

Last edited by dat720; 6th December 2008 at 22:59.
Old 7th December 2008, 04:46   #6  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat720;1221237Without trying to sound rude, this is why the authors include readme's and have, the commands and info i have provided was gained through reading and trial and error.

The author also has a excelent wiki (url is included in his eac3to doom9 thread) which has tons of example commands and great descriptions of what they all do. [URL="http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use"
Here[/URL]
You weren't being rude. I really appreciate your help. I have looked at and have read through the list of the commands as well as readme's.

Honestly, while some of it does make sense to me. There is still alot I don't fully understand. I am still trying to learn all the terminology as well as how things work.

I have been converting SD DVD's for a long time. Simply using ONE GUI program. Selecting what I wanted and the output and presto... out came a MPG2/DD5.1 file that would play on my TiVo. A real no brainer! Never understood what was happening "under the hood".

Now I am trying to learn with Blu-Ray, & as I have found out so far. Currently there are no ONE simple program with GUI interface that will do what I am used too.

So let me thank you in your gracious patience in helping me learn. I will in fact go back and read more about it and then come back and ask questions about what I don't understand.

Again thank you

WTC
Old 7th December 2008, 05:24   #7  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Exactly what is a "Pulldown"?

As in the command: -keepPulldown
which says "disable removal of pulldown for MPEG2, h264 and VC-1 tracks"

What are sequence headers?

From what I understand eac3 only converts the audion of a container file.

eac3to doesn't actually work with the video to convert VC1 to MPG or H.264 or anything else. Is that correct?

Thanks
WTC

P.S. When muxing back using TSmuxer... the audio is off? I have figured out one can adjust the audio stream to match up. But how does one determine how much time needs to added or subtracted? I take litterly HOURS to mux and then test... Trial and error would take me YEARS, to get the Audio/video synced.

Last edited by WildTexasChef; 7th December 2008 at 05:54.
Old 7th December 2008, 06:55   #8  |  Link
dat720

Read about Pulldown or Telecine here: Wiki Telecine

Your right, eac3to does not do any video transcoding, only audio.

But it does the hard part with Blu Rays, handling seemless branching, so you dont have to figure out which order the m2ts files appear in.
It also makes life easy using 1 application to demux video and convert audio if nessecary in one pass.

Regarding audio delay, eac3to will tell you the delay used in the stream.

4: E-AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, 7ms <= this stream has 7ms delay, as seen in the last parameter.
Old 8th December 2008, 01:08   #9  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Read about Pulldown or Telecine here: Wiki Telecine

Your right, eac3to does not do any video transcoding, only audio.

But it does the hard part with Blu Rays, handling seemless branching, so you dont have to figure out which order the m2ts files appear in.
It also makes life easy using 1 application to demux video and convert audio if nessecary in one pass.

Regarding audio delay, eac3to will tell you the delay used in the stream.

4: E-AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, 7ms <= this stream has 7ms delay, as seen in the last parameter.
For all your help so far...

So here is what have done so far.

1. Using AnyDVDHD I have copied a Blu-ray disk to my hard drive. The M2TS on this disc is h.264 with DTS-HD

2. Using eac3to I then demuxed and re-encoded the movie into 2 seperate files. a h.264 video file and a AC3 5.1 file

3. Using Tmuxer I muxed the two files back together into a TS file that my TiVo can play.

Original File size of M2TS was 24.5gb... Ending file size of TS is 23.25gb.

Video bitrate maintained at 25mbps at 1980x1080 23.9fps
When played on my computer. Video/Audio sync were fine. Picture quality excellant. No detectable judder.

Several problems arose when I tested the end file on my TiVo.

1. There was alot of "Judder". It was transfered to the Tivo S3 and maintained the 23.9/24fps. I am making an educated guess that this "Judder" is caused by the fact it is still a 24fps file vs. the needed 29.9/30fps TV's like. Your thoughts?

2. I went back and using TMuxer Remuxed by had it change frame rate to the 30fps. When back on the TiVo the "Judder" was GONE... however now I have a MASSIVE Video/audio sync issue. Which varies from an aprox 1 sec to 2 sec.

File size is huge... Still at 24gb. As compared the SD-DVD rip which is 7.3gb. I would like a file size around 14-16gb. Would it be correct in assuming the best way would be to reduce the bitrate from 25mbps to around 12-15mbps? I tried using Tmuxer to change the bitrate... but its really really slow.

Im still having issues trying to figure out how to use mencoder to convert a VC1 to H264 or mpeg. But I will get there.

WTC
Old 8th December 2008, 10:42   #10  |  Link
dat720

Theres no need to rip the disc with AnyDVD first, eac3to can demux directly off the disc with the help of AnyDVD.

My guess with the "Judder" would be the bitrate is too high for the Tivo, but having no experience with them i couldn't say for sure.
Old 12th December 2008, 22:56   #11  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Theres no need to rip the disc with AnyDVD first, eac3to can demux directly off the disc with the help of AnyDVD.

My guess with the "Judder" would be the bitrate is too high for the Tivo, but having no experience with them i couldn't say for sure.
Now I am trying to reduce the Video Bitrate from it's Max of as high as 36mbps down to a VBR max rate of 18.89mbps.

When I use tsMuxer 1.8.8 it has a setting for VBV Buffer
and no matter what setting I give it. I still get the error:

"VBV Buffer overflow at position 1973.24 seconds."

That error was with a buffer of 150,000. If set a smaller buffer than the overflow is at a lower position. If I set a higher buffer the overflow is at a higher position.

The video that I am muxing is about 2 hours long & 26gb.

Exactly waht is a VBV Buffer? Is their a Max I can set it too? How does the buffer effect the size of my file? Or is the buffer only used to Mux/change bitrate?

Thanks

WTC
Old 15th December 2008, 20:20   #12  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

use Tsmuxer, select the correct playlist file (the correct .mlps file), mux what you need, then create an .iso with imgburn.
Old 15th December 2008, 22:29   #13  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadcoreHD View Post
use Tsmuxer, select the correct playlist file (the correct .mlps file), mux what you need, then create an .iso with imgburn.
Then what do I do with the ISO?

Im not looking to play this on my computer. I can allready do that with a M2TS &/or TS File. Im also not interested in buring a blu-ray disc as I allready have the original.

Im looking to play this on my HD TiVo from my Server/NAS.

WTC
Old 16th December 2008, 08:06   #14  |  Link
dat720

OK i'm not exactly sure on this so hopefully somone can set me straight but i beleave that you are only changing the mux rate to 18mbps which is why you are getting the VBV Buffer over flows, the stream is still 20-30mbps but the muxer is being told that it is a max of 18mbps so when the bitrate of the stream goes higher than 18mbps you get buffer overflows.

I think the best bet will be to recode the stream to a lower bitrate then mux it with tsmuxer.
Old 16th December 2008, 08:23   #15  |  Link
dat720

To put that theory to the test i just muxed the Sex Drive 1080p trailer with the Mux VBR options set.... it turned out to 95.2mb
I then redid it with the Restricted VB set to 3000kbps and the file turned out to 97.3mb

Playing the back on teh PS3 (the info screen has a nice Bitrate display in teh top corner) they both had exactly the same bitrate.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:45   #16  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yeah, you're going to need to re-encode the stream. Get ready for a slow encode.

I'd suggest using Ripbot264 for this, as it's very simple.

~MiSfit
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 06:42   #17  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Yeah, you're going to need to re-encode the stream. Get ready for a slow encode.

I'd suggest using Ripbot264 for this, as it's very simple.

~MiSfit
I downloaded and tried Ripbot. Unless I am missing something. It only showed creating a MP4 or MKV file.

I am trying to create a MPG2 file.

Im also getting the error "Can't Render File". I have tried with M2TS files that include h.264 video and AC3 Audio.

WTC

Last edited by WildTexasChef; 17th December 2008 at 07:21.
Old 17th December 2008, 20:44   #18  |  Link
dat720

You can't create a H264 MPG2, you might be able to mux H264 into a MPG container....

MPG2 is a stream format not a container.

What other containers does the Tivo support?
I'd imagine TS would be on the list... but what about MOV? MP4 etc
Old 18th December 2008, 19:29   #19  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
What other containers does the Tivo support?
I'd imagine TS would be on the list... but what about MOV? MP4 etc
For Direct Transfers... only MPG2.

using pyTiVo as the TiVo Server. pyTiVo will support:

TS format with h.264/Mpg2 and almost any audio except DTS.

MPG, MPG4, MOV, WMV, WMV-HD, AVI.

pyTiVo converts on "The Fly" as it is transfering the video to the TiVo. The fastest transfers happen when the source video is H.264 or MPG2 format.

Example... a SD video with AC3 audio such as the SD version of "Dr. No", 1hr 50 min in MPG2 transfers in 30 min. In MPG4 transfers in 1hr, in WMV or AVI, transfers in 2hr 10 min

Simply put... the TS files I am creating now from my Blu-ray discs DO play (Except for the VC-1 TS files). They just play with "issues". These issues are caused by the fact the video bitrate is still to high, & possibly because they are still 24fps (23.98) instead of 29.97fps.

I could very well LEAVE them as TS files (except for the VC-1 TS files) if I could find a way to reduce the bitrate down to about 19mbps and covert it to 29.97fps without loosing Audio/Video sync.

My end goal honestly is to find a file that maintains 1920x1080 with 30fps, and AC3 5.1 audio at a bitrate of about 16-19mbps that pyTiVo can play.

Again thanks for all your input and help.
Old 19th December 2008, 06:05   #20  |  Link
dat720

You WILL have to recode the videos to h264, i use mencoder (try one of it's front end GUI's), if you use CRF encoding with a value of 18-20 you should be able to reduce the video's by about 50%.

If you want to give mencoder a go on the cli... i can provide you with a batch file that produces nice rips at half the size of the original and play perfectly on PS3, with a little bit of luck the Tivo should play them too without any altering of the settings.