Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th April 2021, 11:01   #23  |  Link
telemO

Thanks a lot, dear quietvoid, for having replied quickly to me.
I'm trying again to post you a reply - few days after my first attempt failed (supposedly due to moderation filtering?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
There's no simple way to use the tool for cropped video, you have to edit the code.
Erf... That is a matter for me: I'm not competent in programming neither compiling (and a bit allergic to it actually).
Is it abusive to ask you, theweasley or anyone else able to compile with this cargo thing, a "crop able" version of your DoVi tool?

Quote:
Also, using the RPU with x265 to transcode might end up with some desyncs due to the way x265 is inserting the metadata back.
See https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_to...ment-803652617
I'm also having similar issues as your topic above, with "red flash" insertion before a fade out during the start credits (I'm working with a 2600 frames extract of a movie remux).
I've also detected a magenta flash on a white area (a reflection zone) during a real movie part.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think there is a solution for that, other than inserting the metadata after transcoding.
What do you mean by that exactly ?
To mux it with the yusesope tool or via mkvmerge + MakeMKV ? But how would you mux a RPU.bin with an hevc file ?

Quote:
For HDR10+ the same desync issue is present.
For cropped video, the metadata is supposedly resolution agnostic and hopefully the analysis is done on the active image area only.
So it should work in theory,
From an article I found about Metadata Levels on the Dolby Professional Support Knowledge, it is written "Ratio of canvas and image (active area)" as part of the Level 0.
This would mean the same as you mentionned for the HDR10+ theorical implementation, on the active area... and therefore no need to have a "crop-able" version?

Quote:
I'm curious to know how streaming services make use of x265's RPU insertion. There has to be some predicting the transcode's decoding order somehow, to make sure the RPU is synced throughout.
Though I've had artifacts with Dolby Vision on Netflix as well, so maybe they don't bother syncing either.
Probably someone knowledgeable in the video streaming domain, such as benwaggoner, would give you answer or at least some hints.

Tags
dolby vision, dovi, hdr, rpu, x265