Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 27th June 2021, 23:23   #15081  |  Link
asarian

I am having trouble these days getting eac3to to correctly extract audio streams from my UHD multi-part disks. Which is to say, audio gets out of sync. So far this has happened to Wreck-it-Ralph, Ralph breaks the Internet, The Incredibles, Monsters University, etc. What happens is, eac3to will detect the need for, and start second pass (as per usual), and then audio is borked, aka, gets out of sync.

For most UHD movies, I still have my HD counterparts lying around to take their audio stream from, but this is not ideal, and doesn't always fit properly.

All very strange, as I've been doing this for literally years (eac3to 3.34).
Old 28th June 2021, 07:33   #15082  |  Link
Richard1485
AviSynth monkey

Have you tried -no2ndpass?

You could also try DGDemux. It's now free.
Richard1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 09:40   #15083  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1485 View Post
Have you tried -no2ndpass?

You could also try DGDemux. It's now free.

Thx. I'll give these a try.

EDIT: -no2ndpass doesn't even get listed as option, but it did solve the issue for me.

Last edited by asarian; 28th June 2021 at 10:03.
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 12:29   #15084  |  Link
Richard1485
AviSynth monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
EDIT: -no2ndpass doesn't even get listed as option, but it did solve the issue for me.
Great! Yeah, eac3to correctly drops frames in the first pass, but it tends to go wrong in the second pass by dropping frames unnecessarily. These days, I always try -no2ndpass first. For TrueHD, use mlp or CloneBD instead.
Old 29th June 2021, 23:02   #15085  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Great! Yeah, eac3to correctly drops frames in the first pass, but it tends to go wrong in the second pass by dropping frames unnecessarily. These days, I always try -no2ndpass first. For TrueHD, use mlp or CloneBD instead.
MLP worked like a charm! It can't remove dialogue normalization yet, sadly. So, I figured I do a second pass on the newly formed .thd stream then, with eac3to, but then, LOL, eac3to starts complaining about gaps again (which I expected to no longer exist again, btw).
Old 30th June 2021, 21:12   #15086  |  Link
Richard1485
AviSynth monkey

Quote:
So, I figured I do a second pass on the newly formed .thd stream then, with eac3to, but then, LOL, eac3to starts complaining about gaps again (which I expected to no longer exist again, btw).
Given that eac3to has problems with such tracks, I don't know how much credence to attach to that error message. If your track is in sync and plays fine, maybe you can ignore it. My preference with branching discs is to extract the AC-3 track with eac3to (-no2ndpass), so in suggesting mlp/CloneBD, I'm just passing on what's considered best practice.

The only other method known to me to remove dialnorm from TrueHD is to load the MKV or playlist (mpls) into MKVToolNIx, click the audio track, scroll down, and check "Remove dialog normalization gain" under "Audio properties". It works for me. The downside is that the AC-3 "core" will become a separate track, not one that remains interleaved with the TrueHD, which might or might not matter to you when it comes to playback. Perhaps you want to avoid MKV output.
Old 30th June 2021, 23:07   #15087  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Given that eac3to has problems with such tracks, I don't know how much credence to attach to that error message. If your track is in sync and plays fine, maybe you can ignore it. My preference with branching discs is to extract the AC-3 track with eac3to (-no2ndpass), so in suggesting mlp/CloneBD, I'm just passing on what's considered best practice.

The only other method known to me to remove dialnorm from TrueHD is to load the MKV or playlist (mpls) into MKVToolNIx, click the audio track, scroll down, and check "Remove dialog normalization gain" under "Audio properties". It works for me. The downside is that the AC-3 "core" will become a separate track, not one that remains interleaved with the TrueHD, which might or might not matter to you when it comes to playback. Perhaps you want to avoid MKV output.

To start with the latter, I love the MKV container. Or rather, Kodi loves it (it has trouble playing individual UHD .m2ts files properly here, sans stuttering, for some reason, but plays MKV very smoothly).

And I want the HD audio stream, of course. So, I will start just ignoring the gap warnings given by eac3to for the dialogue normalization removal (sorry, can't test now: inthe middle of huge render job).
Old 1st July 2021, 00:13   #15088  |  Link
Richard1485
AviSynth monkey

Quote:
And I want the HD audio stream, of course.
Of course! What I was explaining is that if you use MKVToolNIx to remove the dialnorm from the TrueHD, you will end up with a track without an AC-3 "core" (the interleaved track), in other words, a thd track on its own, rather than thd+ac3 (as found on BD), which the eac3to method allows you to keep. But since you are happy with MKV, you can use either method.
Old 15th July 2021, 15:05   #15089  |  Link
Tass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Is there any particular reason why you don't want to extract the lossy 5.1 channel DTS (core) stream from the lossless DTS-HD MA stream and play that instead?
Yep, thanks to LG, DTS won't be passthru to my AVR from the TV via optical because for a few years LG TVs stoped DTS compatibilty, so I have no option other than modify my setup or convert to AC3, for now, converting to AC3 is the less hassle since modifying my setup would involve geting a new AVR with eARC and laying new cables INSIDE my walls
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 18:31   #15090  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Yep, thanks to LG, DTS won't be passthru to my AVR from the TV via optical because for a few years LG TVs stoped DTS compatibilty,...
Indeed, LG dropped support for onboard DTS decoding and pass-through, from 2020 onwards...
Old 24th July 2021, 04:37   #15091  |  Link
Sakura-chan

Is there any way to ignore the delay when extracting/re-encoding? Currently when eac3to detects a delay it automatically applies it to the extracted files with no way to ignore it. I see no switch to extract/re-encode as is. Like an -ignoredelay switch or something.
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2021, 10:02   #15092  |  Link
tebasuna51

Just add the inverse delay, for instance:
Quote:
eac3to "test(+300).mkv" 2: "test(+300).mkv_2eng.ac3" -300ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:00:22, 25p
1: h264/AVC, English, 720p25
2: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz, 300ms
[a02] Extracting audio track number 2...
[a02] Creating file "D:\Temp\t\00_test (+300).mkv_2eng.ac3"....
or

Quote:
eac3to "test(-80).mkv" 2: "test(-80).mkv_2eng.ac3" +80ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:00:22, 25p
1: h264/AVC, English, 720p25
2: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz, -80ms
[a02] Extracting audio track number 2...
[a02] Creating file "D:\Temp\t\00_test (2).mkv_2eng.ac3"...
Old 26th July 2021, 00:04   #15093  |  Link
Asmodian

Why would you want to ignore delay? It is a flag telling all players to add/subtract that much audio before playing, so unless it is normally out of sync, what is the use case for ignoring that field? Is it that the flag smaller than Xms of silence and you will reapply it when muxing?

Maybe some other reason I haven't thought of?

Tags
eac3to