Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 5th May 2020, 19:42   #1  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

How to treat "Inbetweeners" TV-series DVDs?

EDIT: SOLVED problem! Donald Graft's DGDec is the plugin to use for handling DVDs!
I am thinking about encoding my "Inbetweeners" TV-series DVDs to x265 (it's an European TV-show on DVDs, so I'll guess it's 25fps), but I noticed that the video-source is weird, plain deinterlacing is not good enough, the intro with the cartoon is really weirdly video-coded.
Has anyone here encoded it and can share the AVS-settings?
If not one here did an encode of it, I'll share a sample soon.

Thanks

Last edited by Forteen88; 6th May 2020 at 10:26. Reason: solved problem!
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 03:33   #2  |  Link
manono

You should have included an untouched sample in your initial post. You can cut one from the DVD using DGIndex.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 10:21   #3  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
You should have included an untouched sample in your initial post. You can cut one from the DVD using DGIndex.
Oh, my bad, this DVD seems to work well now that I used DGDecode instead this time, when I tried to encode this, I just needed to deinterlace it.
I might've used FFMS2 last time I tried to encode this TV-series years ago, and that created problems.

Still, it's annoying that DGIndex tells me (like it often does) that "Field order transition was detected. Correct field order transition?"
Should I click "Yes" to correct it, or is it not so important?

EDIT: It might've been a different source I used long ago, and that's why there was trouble? Well, now I used my Swedish 3 disc DVD version!

Last edited by Forteen88; 20th May 2020 at 15:30.
Old 6th May 2020, 16:14   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
Still, it's annoying that DGIndex tells me (like it often does) that "Field order transition was detected. Correct field order transition?" Should I click "Yes" to correct it, or is it not so important?
Well, it depends. E.g., if the content is progressive it doesn't matter. And it also depends on how you intend to deinterlace. Can you post a specific sample that you are concerned about? You know the drill. Select range and then Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V to a hosting site.

BTW, glad you like DGDec.

Quote:
I might've used FFMS2 last time I tried to encode this TV-series years ago, and that created problems.
If it was years ago and your memory is shaky about if you even used it, it's better not to slag on FFMS2. You could have been wrong and FFMS2 has seen a lot of development since then. It's been useful for me in several ways.

Last edited by videoh; 6th May 2020 at 18:25.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 18:09   #5  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Well, it depends. E.g., if the content is progressive it doesn't matter. And it also depends on how you intend to deinterlace. Can you post a specific sample that you are concerned about? You know the drill. Select range and then Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V to a hosting site.
BTW, glad you like DGDec.

If it was years ago and your memory is shaky about if you even used it, it's better not to slag on FFMS2. You could have been wrong and FFMS2 has seen a lot of development since then.
for making DGDec
That "Field order transition was detected"-window popped up only when I selected the ending of that TV-episode. It's a very short sample here, if you need longer sample to help me, please tell me.
https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/EuqcjtUj/file.html

True, FFMS2 might not be to blame, and if I used it and it created problems, I might have used it incorrectly too.
Old 6th May 2020, 18:34   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

That clip is progressive throughout so it doesn't matter whether you correct or not.

Another time it would not matter is when you are not honoring pulldown. Or if you want to deinterlace by discarding a field...etc.

All it does is edit the pulldown flags so that a single field order applies throughout.
Old 6th May 2020, 19:45   #7  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
That clip is progressive throughout so it doesn't matter whether you correct or not.
Oh, thanks for telling me, I remembered deinterlacing incorrectly (it was years ago last time I encoded a DVD), but now I've read a guide again, on how to detect if a video is interlaced:
Quote:
Temporarily add SeparateFields() to your encode.avs and re-load into AvsPmod. The video will be half the original height; each half height frame represents a field from the source. One frame will be all the horizontal odd lines from the source frame, the next frame will be all the even lines from the same source frame. Navigate to somewhere where there is movement and step forward one frame at a time. If there is movement in every half height frame then the video is pure interlace. Remove the SeparateFields() filter after testing that.
I feel a bit embarrassed for making multiple simple mistakes, trying to encode this DVD
Old 6th May 2020, 20:02   #8  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Fake it til you make it.