Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 19th June 2021, 09:32   #1  |  Link
Katie Boundary

ffmsindex is not a valid win32 application and bcrypt.dll is missing?

I recently wiped my hard drive to replace WinXP x64 Edition with WinXP 32-bit and now I'm getting these strange errors :\ Anyone know what could be causing them? Copying bcrypt.dll from my Win7 partition to my XP partition didn't help.
Old 19th June 2021, 11:20   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Which build are you using?
ffms2 dropped XP support a while ago, now only the C Plugin supports XP and it's x86 (32bit) only...

https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffms2/
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 13:04   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Load it with Dependency Walker [x86 version, I assume that the exe is x86, yes (if not, then thats your problem)].
https://www.dependencywalker.com/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 13:45   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
not a valid win32 application
This almost certainly is not an error about missing dependency (DLL) or missing entry point, but an unsupported type of EXE or DLL file.

Either trying to run a 64-Bit EXE on the 32-Bit Windows, trying to load a 64-Bit DLL into a 32-Bit process, or trying to use an EXE (or DLL) that requires a newer versions of Windows on an "outdated" (unsupported) Windows version.

Use a tool like CFF Explorer to check the required OS version of the EXE or DLL file. For Windows XP this should be at most 5.1, as Windows XP equals Windows NT version 5.1.

(Modern compilers/linkers will usually set this to 6.0 or something, because ancient OS is no longer supported in modern tool chains)
Attached Images

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th June 2021 at 21:31.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 15:26   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
This almost certainly is not an error about missing dependency (DLL) or missing entry point, but an unsupported type of EXE or DLL file.
Yep I know, I figured that dep walker would produce a more sensible error message than " is not a valid win32 application".
[x86 dep walker will be more recent than XP x86 OS, I was expecting the indexer to be x64 NT 5.1 version].

EDIT: On Windows 7 x64,
using dep walker x86 on x64 exe [NirSoft's UsbDeView_x64.exe],
Code:
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found. [EDIT: ie named system dependencies eg Kernel32.dll are x86 and exe x64]
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
Have not tried on XP x86.

EDIT: On XP x86 I get the same as above errors + 1 more about Side by Side configuration information being in error.

EDIT: But yes of course you are correct, CFF Explorer would be better choice if I could remember the name,
also I think maybe PE Explorer is another that I have not used [but not sure on that either].

EDIT: To below
Quote:
PE Explorer isn't free and not exactly on the cheap side.
Dear me, $129.00 for home license, and $229.95 for business license. [authors 10 years producing their software].
I just remember the name from maybe 15 years ago, maybe there was another by the same name.
(or maybe it was once free)
EDIT: Also, SysInternals is bound to have a similar-ish program(maybe without disassembler):- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th June 2021 at 18:39.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 17:14   #6  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
EDIT: But yes of course you are correct, CFF Explorer would be better choice if I could remember the name,
also I think maybe PE Explorer is another that I have not used [but not sure on that either].
TTBOMK, PE Explorer isn't free and not exactly on the cheap side. PPEE (puppy) is another free alternative.

Old 19th June 2021, 19:23   #7  |  Link
qyot27
...?

That it's complaining about missing bcrypt means it was built for Vista+. bcrypt only exists on NT 6.x and higher.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 21:27   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
That it's complaining about missing bcrypt means it was built for Vista+. bcrypt only exists on NT 6.x and higher.
Yeah. And trying to copy the "missing" Bcrypt.dll from a newer Windows version to Windows XP, as the OP apparently did, will not work (i.e. Windows XP won't be able to load that DLL), for the reasons explained above.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th June 2021 at 21:30.
Old 20th June 2021, 00:15   #9  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Which build are you using?
ffms2 dropped XP support a while ago
Maybe support was dropped for 32-bit XP, but it still works fine in XP x64 Edition.

What was the last version to support 32-bit XP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Use a tool like CFF Explorer to check the required OS version of the EXE or DLL file. For Windows XP this should be at most 5.1, as Windows XP equals Windows NT version 5.1.
Close. 32-bit WinXP is NT 5.1 but WinXP x64 Edition is 5.2

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 20th June 2021 at 00:19.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2021, 01:20   #10  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
Maybe support was dropped for 32-bit XP, but it still works fine in XP x64 Edition.

What was the last version to support 32-bit XP?
Ah... I don't know, I don't use XP x64, so I didn't keep track of those, but only of the x86 dlls... sorry
Support for XP x86 was dropped like years ago, but thanks to Reino we still have a constantly updated c plugin (the last version is from 2021-05-21).
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2021, 09:49   #11  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Yes, the same one that you mentioned earlier. The good news is, that version of ffmsindex works perfectly on my system. The bad news is, the plugin itself causes a "serious error" and crashes Premiere. It works fine with Virtualdub though, so IDK. Premiere has always been kind of a finicky bitch about a lot of things.

EDIT: That's only when I open the old Premiere project file. I have no problem starting a new project file with AVS scripts that invoke the C-plugin. So... IDK.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 20th June 2021 at 09:58.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2021, 08:05   #12  |  Link
hello_hello

The "XP" version of ffms2 also seems to have, or it causes MeGUI to have, some sort of memory leak, if that's the correct term.
Each time I load an "ffms2 script" into MeGUI, it's memory usage increases a little. When I add the script to the job queue, the same thing happens. Sometimes I can't add more than half a dozen jobs to the queue before MeGUI complains it can't open the script (it depends on resolution), which I assume is because it can't use any more memory.

Similarly, when I use MeGUI to preview an "ffms2 script", if I navigate around too much it doesn't take long for MeGUI to complain it can't load the frame due to a lack of memory.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote