Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th December 2009, 22:27   #1  |  Link
Cyber-Mav

Megui v0.3.1.1051 x264 r1183 vs newer megui+x264

hey all, iv been using Megui v0.3.1.1051 along with x264 r1183, this is the latest version supported by megui according to the update info within megui itself.

now i have no issues or problems with this encoding setup i use, encodes look great and there are no errors or issues.

question is, i have read the newer x264 changelog showing all the new stuff thats been added since version 1183, like macroblock tree, newer adaptive quantization methods and weighted prediction etc. the thing is, are these new changes considered to still be experimental? or are they fully stable to be using them on doing my final encodes of family digicam videos?

if i wanted to use the latest x264 revision, is there any update to megui that will allow me to use it in conjuction? or would i be needed a new front end gui or have to resort to command line interface etc.

final question, what sort of difference in percentages would i be looking at in performance and quality going from x264 r1183 to the latest version?
edit: forgot to add i always encode using dxva insane for my SD content at level 3.2, level 9 RD refinement etc with all slow options enabled 9 ref frames.
and videos have to work on standalone playback devices, the WDTV is the one i use most often.

thanks all.

Last edited by Cyber-Mav; 7th December 2009 at 22:35.
Cyber-Mav is offline   Reply With Quote